•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Possibly Picking up 2 Bronco 2's

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I contacted someone this morning regarding their Craigslist Ad having 2 Bronco 2's for sale, one supposedly runs, the other is a donor with no engine but supposedly a good transmission...yep of course A4LD's. Anyhow, I'm thinking if they contact me back and I buy them and swap in the working tranny into the supposed running bronco 2, I'd have a 2nd one to do what I want with, or just fix it up do a few minor tune up things and resell it. In my email this morning I asked about titles, and interior conditions, etc. Haven't heard anything back as of yet so not holding my breath...but they have them listed for $650 for both...I figured even if I get them and end up having issues I should be able to get my money back in just parting them out I'd think?

Otherwise if the 1989 does in fact run good and after the tranny swap is drive able I'm not so sure I'd want to sell it :(. Don't care for the front end look on them though is the only thing, maybe its just because My Bronco 2's and Ranger was 84, 84, and 88 prior to the body style changes...both of these Bronco 2's look like they have auto locking hubs so I'm assuming they have the push button 4WD which I'm not a fan of either.

On another note, given one of the transmissions is bad anyhow, I was thinking about tearing it down and trying to rebuild it myself. Why not? Can't do anything worse to it since its already broken HAHA!!! If I do this and try to rebuild that tranny, where could I get parts for a transmission? Certainly there are places out there that sell rebuild parts or kits I would think?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My trans got rebuilt a few months ago. The trans shop had a hard time finding a replacement governor. I searched the net and found lots of rebuild kits but no governors. There were kits on eBay and hard parts too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I didn't bother going to look at them last weekend, and the one that runs has an automatic in it which supposedly is trash. For $650 if the running engine was good maybe it would be fine, but I really don't have all the stuff to do an engine swap anyhow, and from the looks of them they were trying to scab parts together to get one running, and I'm not sure exactly how one would break the main shaft in a transmission, especially with a little 2.9L V6 in front of it...sounds to me like someone was doing some pretty shady stuff and really don't have extra money to throw away like that on very unknown issues.