•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Few teaser pics...

I set the engine down in the bay to check for clearance issues and it fits awesome. I thought I was probably going to have to move the engine forward an inch or two, but it fits great with no obstructions but the heater box. Im going to have to cut the box (much like a 5.0 swap) and it will prbably limit the heater (blocks about half the hole in the firewall) but I dont think there will be any problems beyond that. I will have to say though, that engine is a pain to get past the radiator support if you leave the fan on.

Also Im not going to be running AC, but if I was, I think there could very well be issues with the steering box and the AC compressor, but with that being the case, I dont think you could use an AC heater box anyway.

Also, FYI, I just bolted the stock 2.9 motor mounts to the 4.0 and they worked fine.

Also...

Has anybody successfully ran an OHV 4.0 on an aftermarket 5.0 calibrated MAF sensor?? I know the sensor part number for the 4.0 is the same as the mustang (meaning it has the same voltage curve) so I would assume one could use a calibrated MAF without major issue. Does anybody know if anyone has tried it?

joeslow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'02
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L
I will have to say though, that engine is a pain to get past the radiator support if you leave the fan on.
Sounds like a case where Efans would be handy. :icon_thumby:

great progress.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I built my bracket for the X-case shifter today, also added a little "bling" to the shifters.

Threw the X-case on the tranny as a mock up to make sure everything would work correctly, and all looked good. Tomorrow Im going to throw the X-case in the solvent tank and clean it up a bit more. Also hopefully I can get my hands on some ABS and fill the large hole in my heater box.

Maybe Ill be able to get this engine in permanently this week, I guess Ill cross my fingers.

Sevensecondsuv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L,2.3T,4.0L
I'd be careful with fuel system. The eec-iv systems run about 40 psi (without vaccuum to the regulator). I know the EEC-V returnless run 60-70 psi. Seeing as how you're going with the EEC-IV computer it shouldn't be an issue. You also have to be careful about what injectors you use. There are high and low impedance and a computer meant for one can get fried by hooking up the other. I know the EEC-IV 19 lb/hr injectors probably won't fit in the SOHC fuel rail so make sure whatever injectors you end up using are compatible with the computer. Also make sure the FPR on the 97 fuel rail runs at 40 psi like the EEC-IV computer is expecting it to.

Other than that, Good Luck with it! I really like the SOHC idea and wanted to try something like this myself.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Im pretty sure I have all that under control.

Im running some 3rd gen 19lbr's off of a crown vic, and Im using a fuel rail from a 97 SOHC explorer and those were a return style system. The only thing Ive run into is that the older style injectors are taller than the EV6 style injectors on the 06 and the EV1(?)/EV6(?) hyrbid injectors on the 97. I have to space the fuel rail up, luckily I have enough room to space it up. The only problem I might encounter is the base FP that the stock 97 FPR is set to, However I cant imagine that would be different from any other return style system ford has had, around ~38psi or something. It would be nice to find an AFPR for it though, good luck...

For the record, I thought the returnless style systems were PWM by the computer, I dont see why ford would run the fuel pressure as high as 60-70psi. Also AFAIK the later EV6 injectors on the ranger are high impeadence, I was going to use them as a fall back if I have to.

Hopefully the 19lbr's will be enough with the factory FPR, Ill have to hook my wideband up to it after I get it out on the road.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Little more progress...

Got the rough work on the heater box done. I went to lowes and picked up an ABS catch basin and cut the plastic out from that, then I used some two-part plastic epoxy to bond it together. As soon as it dries, I can do a test fit, sand and paint her up, and then get the engine in permanently.

Sevensecondsuv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L,2.3T,4.0L
Wow, that almost looks professional. I just used some ductwork sheetmetal, coarse thread sheet metal screws, and black RVT when I did mine. I did the exact same notch too.

Hurry up and get this thing done. I can't wait to hear the report on how the OHV EEC-IV does running a SOHC.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Lol tell me about it, I wanna get this thing running so bad.

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hey man that looks pretty sweet. It's deffinately cooler than using the navajo stuff.
I decided to bail on that 4.o swap you sold me. I'm going with the 2.3t instead, the 4.0 was just a little too boring lol. But i made back that 500 bucks just parting it out already, and i haven't even gotten rid of the engine or the transfer case yet. now i got it completely stripped and on jackstands in my carport... I dont think my neighbors like it too much (you've seen the yuppy neighborhood i live in)
anyways, good luck on your project, I'd like to see it in person when its all done.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Definately need to get you that title stuff so you can get that outta there, I feel bad about it. Glad to hear you mad back the money on the deal, you get anything out of it?

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
In a round about way the 8.8 lol. I actually traded the 8.8 in the navajo for a different 8.8. Some guy who drives 100 miles a day on the freeway wanted the 3.27s for gas milage so we just traded straight up, now i have 3.73 axle.

So I dont think I actually kept anything from it lol. I still got the tranny, still waiting for some free time to tear it open and see what blew up. There were deffinately chunks when i drained teh oil tho.

It was a good learning experience though, this is the first "modern" car I've ever torn apart, now I know what to look for in other RBVs in the future. Before this the newest car I ever did major work on was from 1966. I think my dads owned about 4 or 5 53-57 fords in my lifetime, so I know those things pretty well, and my 60 chev.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Whoaa sweet project dude!

Lovin the SOHC 4.0 in the BII! That will be sweet when its done, have to say I'm jealous!

Got a question for ya! Have you still got the 90' 4.0 Ranger engine loom? I have a 1990 BII and I was looking for a 90' 4.0 loom from a Ranger to do exactly what you were origionally planning to do; i.e. straight swap an OHV engine into my BII. If you've still got it, would you be willing to sell it?

I've actually got a spare 89' Bronco II, (its road legal, driving and everything!) and if you were a little closer and up for it, I'd be willing to swap the entire thing for your OHV 4.0, loom, and tranny. Unfortunatly you live about as far from me as you can get in the US (my spare BII is in NC) however I'd still be interested in that loom if you were interested in selling it and willing to ship!

Cheers bud, and keep the pictures coming on this project, I'm lookin forward to seeing the end result!

jpistheman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
good lookin project!!

auburn's not to far!!

good luck, i'll be following this build.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just a little update on where im at.

Got it up on jack stands so I could get some real work done.

Got all of the TTB stuff out and those rivets really suck.

Its coming along nicely. Its looking like ill have to move a little tube over to the short side of the front axle so I can get my leaf pads on, as it sits right now they would hit the side of the pumpkin a little. Im going to put some 2.5" wrangler fronts in, the length is just about perfect, I should still be able to use the navajo front bumper. If it ends up being too soft, ill probably find another leaf to add in, I dont think ill have a problem with flex, the springs are going under the frame rails.

I gotta get some shackles going and a little plate welded to the frame.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yup, I kept the frontend off of the navajo I sold to Pearldrumbum.

It all fits on perfect, should be a little different.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
rivets really suck.
You talking about those solid steel ****ers that are about 3/4" thick in the middle and appear to be pressed on both sides? I had to drill and grind some of those on my trans cross member mount to move it forward for my AOD. Yes, those do really suck. :annoyed:

Good luck with your project.

Pete

motohead771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
That looks like some quality work. What size tires are you going to be putting on it?

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

OH WOW! I mean dude.....you could really make some money selling those brackets!!! The whole reason some people scrap the manual case swap on their 01+'s is the lack of the bungs for the linkage bolts on the tailhousing, and the speed sensor back there. Seriously...You've got something here.... Make a few, and sell them!!