•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project El Taco...1990 BII

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Im having a little trouble with the engine now. When I first started it the other night, it fired up fine and idled a little rough, but caught itself and idled fine. Now after finishing everything up under the hood, I have a high idle (as seen in the video). I had noticed when I started it yesterday, I had forgot to plug the TPS and IAC in, so I plugged them in. The thing still idled high. No change with the IAC or the TPS unplugged, and I checked for vacuum leaks with brakeclean. If I unplug I the MAF sensor, It idles down, a little rough, but at a normal RPM. The catch is, I changed out the MAF sensor, and it still idles high. I took it around the block and it runs like crap, backfiring out of the exhaust and stuff.

I unplugged the battery tonight, so tomorrow Ill plug it back in and see if it makes a difference.

Anybody have any Idea's?

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Aside from the grounds above; the first things that comes to mind are the O2 sensors, injectors, and MAF. check over your wiring harness, make sure there isn't any loose or bad connectors.

can you list the sensors used,what year are they from?

are the injectors from the t-bird the same size as the 94?

can you pull any of the basic codes from the computer? (I know its only OBDI).

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I checked the harness, even with it running, and there is no bad connections. O2 sensor is Fairly new and nothing changes whether its plugged in or not. The injectors I "rebuilt" (orings, filters, pintle caps, and a good cleaning) and are for sure 19lb injectors just like a 4.0 OHV ran stock. The MAF is from a 91 explorer and has a 90 part number. The IAC is either off of the 2.9 or my old 5.0, either way, the computer adjusts the IAC with a pulsewidth based on displacement, so it really doesnt matter all that much, different IACs with work on different engines. The IAT and CLT are brand new 90 ranger parts. The FPR is a 270KPA(~39psi) unit.

There is no CEL so I assume there is no codes.

Im going to see if letting the computer drain does anything.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I might have gotten it figured out.

The backfiring was from 2 spark plug wires being crossed at the coil pack. I made a block off plate for the IAC just to see what it would do and now it doesnt want to idle, so that leads me to believe that contrary to what I thought, there is a difference in the IAC's. I know in Megasquirt, you have to set the frequency of the valve and the pulsewidth, so I would bet money that the 4.0 and 2.9 IAC's have different frequencies they operate off of.

My plan is to get a 4.0 IAC this afternoon and try it out.

AND MAN DOES THIS THING HAUL ASS!!! I took it around the block after fixing the wires, and the thing wants to spin my 30" bighorns like they are cheap street radials. If I get it fixed today, Ill get some video up later.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Nice :icon_thumby:

What did you do about exhaust? did the y-pipe from the OHV 4.0L fit the new motor?

how did you space up the fuel rail to account for the different sizes in the injectors?

thanks,

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, I got it all figured out!

It wasnt that the two IAC's were different, I noticed while I had the IAC off, that the casting on the flange was slightly recessed. This was causing air to bypass the IAC completely and into the engine. I made a little spacer plate to go under the IAC and that fixed the problem.

The exhaust is a factory explorer Y-pipe (mine was cut at the JY about and inch from the manifolds, so I had to splice flanges in. Im sure a factory OHV Y would work) into 2.5 for about a foot, then a magnaflow 2.5 cat, and thrush welded flowmaster copy, and then 2.5 all the way out the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWtEVOWSkS8

Shitty vid, but thats all I had time for tonight.

The fuel rails have chrome 1/2" spacers from the hardware store to adapt to the taller injectors.

I took the bronco down to the car wash, and cleaned it up. The driveshaft doesnt vibrate at all. On the way back I was having some fun and I got onto the skinny pedal a little too hard and pulled the cable end right off, So I had to idle home in 2 low lol. Luckily I was only about a 1/2 mile from home.

This thing flat gets with it though! The only issue I dont like, is its still building power when the rev limiter kicks in (OHV vs. SOHC). Not much I can do about that though.

Last edited:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ok so just to get this straight all you really had to do to make this thing work was hook up a ohv harness to sohc motor ,have power steerin hoses made,fuel rail off a 97 explorer

would you be able to run ac if you have a body lift?

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Does Anybody make just a chip to specifically raise the rev-limiter?

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
when does the rev limiter kick in?

can you post a video of driving in the truck?

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The rev limiter has to kick in around 5k cause its still pulling when it kicks in and my 3.0 is pulls higher and it kicks in around 5250... The thing is getting pretty wicked around 5k so I havent had a chance to look at the Tach, you know what I mean if youve ever driven a B2...

Ill get some Vids up soon.

Shawn, thanks for the info.

shawn.m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I hit the rev limiter all the time in my 4.0 powered b2. =) Have to do this to get the 33's rolling along.

I would also suggest going to the bigger Aerostar MAF sensor which is 75mm. It looks like you are still running the stock 52mm MAF. I would think that would wake up that motor even more since you have already done the exhaust.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=657364&postcount=3
Aerostar on left - stock 4.0 on right

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just a Little update...

I drove the bronco to the JY today and found a decent headliner, sending unit and M5OD shifter bezel. Put about 150 miles round trip on it and it runs and drives great. It idles smoother than my 05 3.0.

Also took it out for some light wheeling in ravensdale and it did excellent! Im real suprised at what this thing can do with just 30" Bighorns, explorer suspension, and Open dif's. That TTB sure is a Dozer blade though, I have a big ol turd on it LOL (avatar).

This week its getting painted flat black and im going to try and finish the heater box as well.

RacinNdrummin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ive been working out some of the bugs on the truck the last couple of weeks. Also finished spray painting it.

Not a pro paint job by any sort, but its better than 5 shades of brown and a world map of chipped paint on the side. Plus I can bust out the can of black when I get a scratch!

Also here is a pic of my homemade sway bar disconnect-

And this-

More updates soon...

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Suzuki,Inf
Engine Size
nice build! I like that it looks stock, but at the same time, looks custom.... kinda like a mind fu**