•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project "Step Child"

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok update time again. I have gotten a lot done but haven't took the time to update or post pics.

Engine in and firewall painted. I'm gonna paint it a darker blue but this was as close to the blue I'm using that I could find in a spray bomb at the time.

Dash installed completely and buttoned up. Also seats and console. I want to put in a security console later on as it will eventually have removeable doors.

Door and fender replaced also brush gaurd installed,black explorer type grill. and blacked out headlight trim.

Centers of wheels painted with satin black paint. Looks good I think.

Back still full of junk though LOL!!

Also got the tranny and transfer installed. Gonna run an FM146 for the time being untill I can source a good M5OD. Got my rear driveshaft made and installed also. Used a rear shaft from the old donor Ex I had and cut it down like 14 inches and used a front flange from another Ex shaft so that it would bolt to the 7.5 rear. I retained the 8.8 flange for later use.
Got the wiring for the rear lights sorted out without swapping the dash harness back out. Just used the plug for an Ex and hooked into the dash harness and ran the wires from it out to the fender to the original location. Didn't really want to do it that way but sure as heck didn't feel like pulling the dash back out and swapping dash harnesses again.
Actually drove her down the street a few days ago. First time she has moved under her own power in over four years!! What a thrill to get to this point finally but still a long way to go.
Also removed all the fender flares the other day. I like them but they just don't look right on it with these tires and no lift. I will sell them if anyone is interested. No they aren't cut out flares before anyone asks just factory pop rivet on ones.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well she made her maiden voyage today!! Took her out to a piece of property that a co-worker leases for hunting to play in a little mud. She done really good!! Took a little searching to find a whole to stick her too. Only problems are needing gears bad and front axle needing a little maintenance. Dought I will do much to the front end though considering I plan on swapping a D35 in fairly soon anyhow.
At any rate...she lives!!!! Pics will be up as soon as I get them downloaded from camera.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok here are the pics.

Took a little but I did get her stuck.

Me and my buddy horsing around.

Last edited:

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I guess I should update this thread a little. On Oct. 25 2011, 20 days after getting her tagged and insured, a woman ran a stop sign in front of me and needless to say I hit her. No-one was hurt which is the most important thing!!

Pics of the aftermath.

Her insurance company wound up totalling my Bronco and her 2008 Mazda Tribute. After some negotiations we settled for $2600.00 and I keep my Bronco.
Since she will have a salvage title now it will be the trail truck now. I used the ins. money to buy another 89 Bronco II. It was a 2 wheel drive but that is fixable. Matter of fact, I have already gotten a D35 front installed with a 2in. coil spacer lift. As soon as I have a chance it will get an explorer rear leaf set and the dummy transfer swapped for a real one. Neat thing is that it was a county owned truck at one time and I guess for insurance reasons they put a rollbar in it.

D35 going under it....

As it sits now...

Step Child will now get the running gear, front clip minus those fenders, and tires from this...

Just gotta give her more lift than the Ranger had. I HATE the way those fenders were hacked up. I know I will probably have to trim the fenders a little but I am not gonna hack them like that. It wouldn't have been so bad had they just took a little effort to finish them up a little and not just leave them raw, cut edges.
I'm thinking on using the original flare section of the fenders and just adding to them and relocating after trimming. Give it a more factory look ya know?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Been trying to come up with a name for the blue one but haven't had much luck with that yet. Any ideas? I will start a new build thread for it soon. I thinking on running the 2.9 in it untill it croaks. It runs toooo good to yank it right now. When I do yank it I most likely do a 5.0EFI swap since I already have done two 4.0 swaps.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID
"The Blue One" :D

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
HMMMMM. Might have to think about that. It has been brought up by my buddy but now that I see it with the "II" it gives it a little different sound, well sorta..you know what I mean LOL.
Play off of the Bronco II thing. Not to bad. Anybody else got anything?