•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Questions about a 2.9 rebuild

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
I read where it says that if you put 2.8 pistons in your 2.9 it increases the compression. Do any of you guys here know if that actually works or not?
Also if you convert the 2.9 to a MAF do you still use the speed density system? And any ideas on a cam grind. I don't like what comp has available.

I would like to make my 89 2.9 as heavily modified as possible. I'm also considering adding a turbo as well. Where I live here in NE Pa there are many folks with 5.0s in there B IIs. I want to be different and keep the 2.9. I am aware that this is the Cologne block with the new style heads that Ford put on which makes it a harder block. I understand that there is a high nickel content in the Cologne blocks. This motor is still un running condition. Besides the lifter noise when it's first started, in which was always a problem due to poor oiling, the truck runs good. Keep in mind that this vehicle is NOT going to be a daily driver, just my little Project in Progress!

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated... Thanks.

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Dude, you have an '89. I wouldn't even bother with the 2.9.

A 4.0 bolts directly in and the exact wiring diagram you need for the swap is in the Tech Library.

I did the 4.0 swap in my '89 Ranger and it's the best thing I've ever done to the truck.

You'll start out with an engine that is better than the 2.9 in EVERY way, plus parts are far more readily available.

Just something to consider before spending $$$ on a 2.9.

Good Luck!:icon_thumby:

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
Thanks for the info. As far as the 4.0 idea that'll depend on what's available with camshafts. I'd like something more than a 260 duration. I guess it was easier back in the day with the 6 poppers. Many dirt track racers used the straight 6 in the chevelles and novas and they ran like hell!