•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

questions about tfi relocation

dutinsss

Reaction score
i'm in the process of relocating my tfi module in my '88 bronco II. first of all, how hard is it to take the distributer off and is there anything i need to know other than just unbolt it an bolt it back up? another thing is i noticed in the write up that you have to make a block off plate for where the old module used to be, but i took the old one off and all i can feel is a blank surface, no hole other than where it plugs into.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
you need a connector to go where the module was, that will solve that problem. Don't forget you need a heat sink for the tfi module.

dutinsss

Reaction score
right now i have 3 individual wires with connectors on the end that look just like the prongs on the module. do i need to make these into a single connector? and if so, how do i do that? i tried to plug them in individually, but with the distributer on the truck, it's very hard to get them in right.

dutinsss

Reaction score
well i got a heat sink for the junk yard today so now all i have to do is plug the wires into the distributer. when i take the distributer off, do i just need to mark where it is on the block and put it back on the same way it came off?

dutinsss

Reaction score
i have everything hooked up now, except the heat sink that the module is mounted on isn't bolted down anywhere. it runs exactly the same as it did before, still skipping when i accelerate when it gets hot. i'm going to make a bracket for the heat sink to mount on and bolt it to the body because i heard that it has to be grounded and try a new module so hopefully it will run better then.

holyford86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the easiest way I have found is to make an "adapter" out of a junk TFI module by chopping the connector off and popping the circuit board out and soldering leads to the inside ends of the three prongs, filling the enclosure up with epoxy and putting it back on, on the other end of the leads I used the connector off of a junk PIP and just whittled it down, being careful not to harm the wires inside the plastic.

B2dangerous

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Are you sure its the TFI module thats bad? I had the ignition pickup thats located in the distributor that would cut out when it got hot. Sometimes it would cut out like a bad plug wire and other times it would kill the engine but would restart after it cooled down. They aren't expensive to replace but you will have to pull your distributor and then pull the distributor drive gear to get it off.