•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Quieter Exhaust

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Hey all. I know this is not the direction most Bronco II owners take their rigs but I'm looking to quiet mine down. It's a daily driver and on the highway it's just so damn loud at high speeds. Purchased it recently and the current set up is a Magnaflow high performance muffler that extends only to about under the rear seat, just past the catalytic converter. I'm sure extending a tailpipe on it would help but looking for recommendations on making this thing as quiet as possible. What are my options? Thanks!

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think you can still get factory replacement parts, just get everything from the cat back and bolt it on.
I took mine to a local exhaust shop to do everything from the manifolds back and said I want it quiet.
It's quiet, really quiet now. They used their own generic parts except for the Y and tail pipe. They put a put a muffler and a resonator on it.

randypmartin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I think you can still get factory replacement parts, just get everything from the cat back and bolt it on.
I took mine to a local exhaust shop to do everything from the manifolds back and said I want it quiet.
It's quiet, really quiet now. They used their own generic parts except for the Y and tail pipe. They put a put a muffler and a resonator on it.
Thanks Jerry. I took her into the exhaust shop today and they said they want $300 to do what you're suggesting. Seems a little high, no?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My exhaust was just over $900 if my memory serves me right.
Muffler, welded in resonator and tailpipe. Plus labor. $300 would be ok with me.
The shop has overhead to cover.

You could do it for probably less than $150 if you have the skill and the tools.

If it's just bolt on a factory muffler and tailpipe? I'd do that in the driveway.

Last edited:

jackfrank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BMW
Thanks Jerry. I took her into the exhaust shop today and they said they want $300 to do what you're suggesting. Seems a little high, no?
Hey Randy, I think $300 is OK. Mine is over $750 because I have no skill and tools.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd say for $300 at a shop to do it that isn't bad at all. I'd let them do it they got the shop, lift, and welding stuff to do it pretty easily and the benders to be able to bend all the pipe to get it installed properly. I need to have my exhaust gone through on my 88 B2 as well I've got a couple of leaks up by the headers somewhere but figured by the looks of a couple spots I may as well have it replaced from headers back while its at the shop.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Dont let an exhaust shop screw you around. Go on rockauto and get their walker parts. It bolts up, I did it on mine and very happy with the results. While you are at it, get some 88 manifolds to really 'delete' your egr

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Dont let an exhaust shop screw you around. Go on rockauto and get their walker parts. It bolts up, I did it on mine and very happy with the results. While you are at it, get some 88 manifolds to really 'delete' your egr
Looks like a lot of welding involved, nothing on my Bronco 2 is bolted on except the headers and then the exhaust pipe bolted to that, everything else is welded, bolting stuff on leaves you a lot of exhaust leaks you'll never get it sealed I wouldn't think?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looks like a lot of welding involved, nothing on my Bronco 2 is bolted on except the headers and then the exhaust pipe bolted to that, everything else is welded, bolting stuff on leaves you a lot of exhaust leaks you'll never get it sealed I wouldn't think?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The only thing that bolts up on mine with stock exhaust is the connection to the end of the Y-Pipe...everything else is welded...

Do you mean the parts from Rockauto are bolt on then? That would be awesome, I mean I can weld but it ain't pretty HAHA, bolting on stuff is a much better route for me although my exhaust is pretty quiet being stock but good to know for the future.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The only thing that bolts up on mine with stock exhaust is the connection to the end of the Y-Pipe...everything else is welded...

Do you mean the parts from Rockauto are bolt on then? That would be awesome, I mean I can weld but it ain't pretty HAHA, bolting on stuff is a much better route for me although my exhaust is pretty quiet being stock but good to know for the future.
The only connection that is not bolt on is after the muffler and cats to the pipe that comes out by the tire. I used two exhaust clamps. No leaks thus far

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The only connection that is not bolt on is after the muffler and cats to the pipe that comes out by the tire. I used two exhaust clamps. No leaks thus far
OK, weird how the heck did mine get installed with all welds and no bolt on stuff, well I know what one of my projects will soon be, I have an exhaust leak from somewhere It will be gone by the time I'm done LOL.