•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

radio swap into 88 bronco II

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
I did a search and did not come up with anything, Does anyone know what radio that is better than the stock am/fm cass from any ford model will plug right in to the bronco harness?
Thanks,
Lou

blackwidow67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
why not just buy a harness adapter and install a new cd player? just outta curiosity

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Well I thought that I might be able to get a radio from the pull-a-part place we have localy. I am clueless when looking at new radio's and don't want to get taken for a peice of junk radio.

blackwidow67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
well you can go to the nearest walmart and look for a decent stereo. i recommend pioneer. but sony or jvc that they sell are decent too. but the pioneers alway sound best in my mind. they go anywhere from 85-130 dollars. and a stereo shop cost ya 60 bucks to put it in

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Thanks for the info, I found a radio in the JY for 12.00 so I got it. Put it in aand it works fine exept the station/time display is dim hard to see in the daytime. It will work for now until I can find a good system to replace it. I do need new speakers, any lines on the front speakers, I guess they are 5 1/4 but have 3 ears for mounting and all I have seen online have 4 ears.

Lou

blackwidow67

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
most have the option for 3 or 4 holes. but you could always redrill the door to fit the 4 slot speakers. cool deal on the radio.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
I do need new speakers, any lines on the front speakers, I guess they are 5 1/4 but have 3 ears for mounting and all I have seen online have 4 ears.
I used some "new" but opened 4" 2-way pioneers from Best Buy that I made adapter plates out of scrap sheet metal for. They are the 4 hole design. I put weather stripping between all metal contacts to avoid rattling.

Drilled out the rivet and un-soldered the terminal on the stock speakers and soldered the new speaker wiring to the old terminal so that I would not have to cut the factory harness.

I haven't had a chance to install them yet because I need to run some RCAs and a remote wire for my system from my deck, but seems like it should work OK. :)

Pete

Edit:
You are talking about indash speakers, correct?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
You are talking about indash speakers, correct?
Yes the indash speakers, I will look around and see what I can find. Thanks for the info. when using the stock radio system what should I look for in a speaker? I just want something that sounds nice.

Lou

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Really any name brand speaker that you can get to fit is going to be pretty significant as far as quality compared to what's there - a 21 year old factory speaker. :) I'd look around as to what other people on here are suggesting, they are more verse with which products tend to yeild the best bang for the buck and are actively researching. Most of my searching and reading is on engines. I knew I couldn't go wrong with Pioneer and the price was right. I love my Pioneer deck, too.

Pete