•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

rear bumper

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
would an aftermarket rear step bumper for a ranger fit on the bronco ll ? The parts guy said it should but could not confirm.

Last edited:

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
No replies, guess I stumped the bronco ll world.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
From what I understand, a rear will but a front will not. I haven't personally tried (yet) though.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
hmm, I have no idea but I would think front bumpers are identical between same year rangers and BIIs. They look the same to me. Rear ones I would suspect are different.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
I see that we have come to a disagreement. I believe protocol is to duel now. :dunno:

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I see that we have come to a disagreement. I believe protocol is to duel now. :dunno:
lol, I am no authority on the bumpers so I could be terribly wrong

My rationale was just that the from the cab forward the Ranger and BII are pretty much identical but very different in the rear.

I know for example the BII rear bumper, at least when one has the external tire rack has a step on the passenger side. While that step is plastic and goes over the bumper I recall some sort of pin that goes thru the bumper. I don't think the Ranger had any support for that detail.

And I don't see, given the front half are the same what would be different with the ranger bumper.

But I am not an authority so what "looks" like it should be the same may not be.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
You could very well be right and your reasoning does make sense.
You are correct with the step having a pin. There is a square hole on the underside of the bumper that you can put a plastic bushing that will accept the pin on the step into. The front just hooks over. To my knowledge, these were only offered on 1st gen bumpers.

As far as front and rear, I know a rear 4th gen Ranger bumper won't bolt up but haven't actually tried with another 1st or 2nd gen Ranger.

The fronts being the same would make sense considering the B-II and Ranger are essentially identical from the firewall forward.
I could very well be wrong as well.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
As far as front and rear, I know a rear 4th gen Ranger bumper won't bolt up but haven't actually tried with another 1st or 2nd gen Ranger.
That probably explains the difference. In gen 3 when the rounded front end came in those definitely wouldn't go on any BII. I am not even sure gen 1 and gen 2 front bumpers are interchangeable.

And getting back to the OP, an aftermarket bumper for ranger would almost certainly be for later generations in which case the front won't fit BII but as you said rear might.

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
Well...I bought a rear bumper today to compare and they are different mounting structures BUT it appears that the Ranger provisions bolt onto the B-II style bumper mounts that are already on the bumper. That's worded strange but basically, the bumpers look like they have the same mounts with a part added to the Ranger bumper. I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about when I get the time. I should be buying another B-II bumber ('90) tomorrow as well which I intend to mount to a Ranger frame ('92) so I'll post back about how that goes and what needs to be modified.

tate22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 bronco ll
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the dialogue guys, the parts guy helping said I could order the ranger step bumper and return it if it didn't match up. So I'll let you know how I make out.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Rangurr gets all the credit!!

Let us know

Rangurr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I4
I'm pretty sure you can fit it on there if you can weld. The frames measured the same width so all you'd have to do would be weld up a mount and you can fit whatever you want! That's my plan with mine. (other than I'm putting a Bronco II bumper on a Ranger frame instead of the other way around)