•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rear susp. question (and a few others)

2low

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FoMoCo
Engine Size
Hey guys, new to the forum

one question ive had my b2 for a good while. long sotry short bought it from my grandmother no miles runs like a champ. eddie bouer with a/c and the works

4 wheel with a manual t-case.
and rear posi.

NOW heres the questions i got some rear end problems. i was ripping some doughnuts in the yard at work. and snagged somthing this winter and it crushed my pass rear shackle (i know of all things to brake)

now i was wondering could i fabricate some 2" over length shackles to make up for the reguler sag?

part 2 in late fall i was out in the mud and snapped my pass. FRONT univerlas joint and broke the eye off of the hub/spindle? (not sure what you would call it, spline shaft?)

just wondering. should i fab up some longer shackles? leave it stock and put blocks?

and were could i get a new front spline shaft, locker shaft or spindle shaft? one of those:sad:

any help would be great

heres a pic after its first time out

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
you could fab up lift shackles...but if it were me, i would rip the saggy leaf springs out and make a more stout pack that wont sag and will give a better feel on-road. but thats just me.

the axle shaft problem is common on half-circle clip u-joint axles...especially when getting on the gas with the wheels turned sharply. there is a way to remedy the problem on the d35...i dont know if there is such a fix for the d28. i would suggest taking into consideration the weak front end under your rig while out wheeling to prevent future failures....or swap in a d35.

replacement parts can be had from the junkyard.

2low

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FoMoCo
Engine Size
well, what would mine have? i have no idea i built a 351 v8 2wd ranger in highschool but i dont know a damn thing about for 4x4's

im assuming d-28?

i dont really wanna beef it up i just wanna repair it

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
you have a d28.

you can just replace the axle shaft, but like i said, you should be concious of the weak front axle while your out wheeling the truck....or else your just going to keep breaking it.

2low

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FoMoCo
Engine Size
oh dont worry i wont be wheeling this in that hole again. its were all the big buck boys go to dig graves. that night we had to get it towed out. it was pretty much sitting on the axles with the tires hanging in holes dug by some big ass 44"s
but ok. heres what would help me out alot.

the shaft comes out of the pumpkin towards the pass. side
universal joint inside the knuckle. then the little shaft that goes into the hub ( i broke the eye off of that one and its cast) what is the name of that small shaft going to the wheel i should know it but im drawing a blank i wanna know what to ask for when i go to the wreckers or to ford for a new piece

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
its a stub shaft. just ask for an outer axle shaft on the passanger side to avoid any confusion.

2low

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FoMoCo
Engine Size
perfect!!! thanks dude/bro

d-28 stub shaft our outer shaft with manual hub