•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Registering a chopped B2?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Im hoping theres another canuck in here thats tried getting an out-of-prov inspection on chopped B2 or any other vehicle, Im in alberta and found a chopped B2 in BC with the rear roof removed but Im wondering if it would pass inspection in AB. I have a B2 registered now that I could chop but I also have alot of rust, this other body already has had the rust cut out and fiberglassed which saves alot of time and $$$. "IF" its possible to get a chop passed an OoP inspection, ne1 tried?

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I haven't tried.
Ask whoever you would take the truck to for an opinion beforehand.
I have a feeling that it will not be happening but I hope I'm wrong. IMO the way the laws are written all the onus falls onto the inspecting mechanic so it's less liability for him to fail rather than pass. Also it can make financial "cents" to fail parts that the shop then repairs. Be upfront and say that you will be doing all repairs yourself. I had a shop give me grief about a dent on my hood, I think now that was a distraction to take the sting out of what they charged me. And they still missed a fuel pump that wasn't there in the second tank . When I filled both tanks after passing the "salvage inspection" the second tank spilled gas out the top where there wasn't a pump.
IIRC cost was C$360.00 plus C60.00 for the second inspection [after myself fixing ~ C$1,600.00, good thing it was free to me]. That was for a "salvage" inspection, I think an "oop" is cheaper.
You could try swapping the vin plate BUT I strongly recommend against that route. If someone in authority ever starts digging and finds something out of order, you could go to jail or lose your ride, at the least insurance would be void.

Richard

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Im not concerned about mechanical or safety issues much because I can swap parts over off my current B2 which has recently passed a safety, my concern is the fact that the roof has been chopped off modifying the passenger compartment and structural integrity of the body.

A properly installed rolled bar should address any safety issues but not neccesarily meet oop standards. I dont want to avoid the rules.. I want to know if theres a legit way to abide by them. So no vin swap. Lol

I wasnt actually looking for a chop, just a decent body without alot of rust, although the currently available models around here are little more than junk at 2 or 3 times bluebook value, by widening the search area Ive found a couple possibilities including this chop unit that has already had alot of rust work done. Nice idea, cool looking truck, but maybe more trouble than its worth.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
What's your budget? I have some b-II's, one with absolutely no rust, one with a minimum. Lots of parts too. PM if interested.

Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Also;
I have a pdf of the Alberta governments',
Automotive and Light Truck Vehicle Inspection Manual
version 1.0,
Dec, 2009
If you want a copy I think I can figure out how to e-mail it.
Again, PM if interested,

Richard

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
budget is hurtin this week,lol just bought an f150 last week and droppin it off in the morning to get some brake and shock work done so that it passes safety, I do alot of my own work on vehicles but gettin a bit old for crawlin around under them... or just lazy maybe but I need the f150 done asap cause Im scrapin my daily driver... a 94 ranger, and then I can focus back on the B2 to make sure its ready as a daily driver before next winter.

If ya notice my sig.... I bought a B2 for $200 5yrs ago, guy I know bought it at an auction for $100 and I offered to double his money... great deal for both of us. The truck is pretty rough around the edges but it hasnt let me down once, driven it to sth sask a couple times, Red Deer a few times, drive it whenever it snows... gotten to like it alot and I doubt if I have $1500 into it even now.

but... it looks like a pc o crap, and gettin worse every winter so Ive been lookin for a body worth workin on, but not findin anything I consider worth while. If you have an 84-88 without alot of rust Im interested... drivetrain and interior arent much concern. We goto Red Deer occasionally cause the wife has a friend there so next time were headed up there I'll pm you and we'll get together see what you have ;)

OT question for ne1.... I see an '83 B2 advertised on kijiji? didnt think that was possible, maybe whatever hes smokin is worth more than his truck....lol

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Yeah, sometimes people get confused between model year and date manufactured. I'd be willing to bet it's actually an '84 model but manufactured in late '83. Guy looks at the door tag, sees it was made in '83 and assumes it's a 1983 model.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
"confused".... is that the politically correct term?

fyi.. I just put a thread in general area about a 94 ranger Im scrapin right now.