•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Removable doors write up

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i agree, maybe a washer underneath the bolt head too. that way you dont have the metal getting chewed up as much, maybe even a bit of grease on it too.

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
Bringing this back up. It's wet season here again, so it's time to put the doors back on.
I forgot just how big a pain in the ass it is to do.

Has anyone worked on a slip joint style hinge yet?
Like this.

Spring project maybe, after I get the 4.0L in.

-Jester

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
This is something i do plan doing, but have a few questions first...

I have noticed alot of people are putting the bolts in from the bottom to the top, with the hitch pin at the top. Any specific reason? Personaly i would think putting the bolt in from the top and hitch pin at the bottom would be a more secure way... no?
Bringing this back up. It's wet season here again, so it's time to put the doors back on.
I forgot just how big a pain in the ass it is to do.

Has anyone worked on a slip joint style hinge yet?
Like this.

Spring project maybe, after I get the 4.0L in.

-Jester

i tried some home made iterations of that but it did not work the way i wanted...and never pursued it further as the junk i use works fine.

the slide hinges did not work out like i had hoped for the same reason the pins go up and down and not both down.

the curvature of the door and the hinge bolts on the door interfere a bit making sliding a decent pin in difficult or impossible if you properly bushed them.

by using counter sunk type bolts with an allenhead you can pop both hinges from the top sothe keepers are on the bottom.

you can make a setup likethe hinges jester pictured but you have to have a pos ugly dont care about the paint truck like mine along with modded fenders to keep from messing the paint up and dinging the upper body line.