•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Remove tilt wheel mechanism?

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
I'm knee-deep in still trying to fix the B2's steering and as part of that I need to get the tilt mechanism off, but I can't figure out how to do it. I've got everything stripped down, got all the electrical connections off....I took the steering wheel off, removed the snap ring holding the upper steering bearing to the shaft, unbolted the whole ignition cylinder housing from the column....but when I try and remove the tilt wheel portion it just stops and won't pull out over the top of the steering shaft. I notice on the backside of the tilt mechanism there are a couple of what look like retaining pieces that are half-circle in shape, but I can't seem to get them off and don't know if they're even supposed to come off. Anyone ever done this before and have any ideas? My AllData subscription and haynes manual together still haven't provided any insight.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
why are you removing the tilt mech.?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Can't find anything on it in the OEM book. It's about to start storming here or I'd go take my 88 apart and look, see if I can see anything.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
why are you removing the tilt mech.?
I'm trying to figure out where exactly some slop is coming from and I've narrowed it down to the upper portion of the steering column. I want to take the tilt off so I can get at the joint/bearing area inside there and see where the play is coming from. With how hard this thing is to get off though I'm seriously considering just putting in a used column and washing my hands of it.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
I've done steering columns on Chevs but I had to remove the column from the rig and then you can slide the outer tube off the shaft to look around? Give it a try?

wadus

Reaction score
Pivot pin remover. Supposed to work for Chevy, Ford and Dodge.

The link is to Oreilly auto but Im sure all of the parts sotores sell a similar tool.
There are videos for removing the tilt mechanism on Youtube. Most were for Chevy but maybe be similar enough to help out.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/19940.oap?keyword=pivot+pin+remover

Edit to add
I know on my Cavalier there are four bolts behind the tilt mechanism that can work loose and make it feel like the wheel is going to fall off. I didnt know about this tool at the time and was able to get to a couple of the bolts and took the play out.

Last edited:

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Pivot pin remover. Supposed to work for Chevy, Ford and Dodge.

The link is to Oreilly auto but Im sure all of the parts sotores sell a similar tool.
There are videos for removing the tilt mechanism on Youtube. Most were for Chevy but maybe be similar enough to help out.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIS0/19940.oap?keyword=pivot+pin+remover

Edit to add
I know on my Cavalier there are four bolts behind the tilt mechanism that can work loose and make it feel like the wheel is going to fall off. I didnt know about this tool at the time and was able to get to a couple of the bolts and took the play out.
Thanks for the info. I figured those pins on there had to serve some purpose....

Anyhow I wound up just taking the whole steering column off and getting a new one from the junkyard. Kind of like using an excavator to plant a bonsai tree but it'll get the job done. :icon_thumby:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well those columns really are designed to be worked on. You did the right thing here.