•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

replace light switch

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
How do I remove the dash bezel to get at the light switch on an 89 B2?

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Mine is an 85 but procedure should be about the same. Remove whatever screws you see that hold the bezel in. The knob on the light switch should have a small clip that if depressed with a small screw driver will remove the headlight switch.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Mine is an 85 but procedure should be about the same. Remove whatever screws you see that hold the bezel in. The knob on the light switch should have a small clip that if depressed with a small screw driver will remove the headlight switch.
Thanks Gordy. I managed to get the switch replaced and turns out it was not the problem, LOL While the bezel was off I decided to upgrade the stereo and that is another ball of wax. I don't have the removal tool but someone said I can use a wire coat hanger instead. No such luck. the thing would not budge. IDK what to do about removing the radio.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II

E bay has a variety of tools for removing Ford radios at good prices. I would contact the seller before buying to make sure they work on your year. Or you could probably stop by a car stereo store and they would probably pop it out for you at little or no cost.
Is it the headlights or the dash lights that aren't working that you were replacing the headlight switch for? I had replaced mine because the dash lights did not work (kept blowing fuses). Finally figured out the blame was not the switch but an after market in dash CD player that was in the B2. Got it figured out and all is good now.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Gordy, thanks for all the useful help. Much appreciated. The switch replacement was prompted by a missing rear and non operating dome light. I found replacement bulbs and a rear dome light in a salvage yard. Did the install and both were on full time no matter the position on the switch. I'm thinking, new switch. Did the swap, same result. For some reason both dome lights were still hot. After much head scratching I went back to the salvage yard and found two dome lights with on/off switches on them. A little fudging here and there and voila! dome lights when I need them. Dash lights work just fine. I'll make a go with the eBay tool and see what happens. Thanks again.

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
If the dome lights stayed on all the time it would indicate that one of the 3 buttons that trigger them is defective (one on each door and one on lift gate). By removing each, one at a time and removing the wire, it should show which switch might be bad. I believe the lighting circuit is closed when a ground is created thus turning on the lights, so it could be something is grounded which shouldn't be. Do you have a simple continuity test light?
ALSO CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE NEW LIGHT SWITCH IS NOT TURNED ALL THE WAY CLOCKWISE BECAUSE THAT WILL TURN ON THE DOME LIGHTS AS WELL. TURN THE KNOB COUNTER CLOCKWISE A BIT AND SEE IF THE DOME LIGHTS MIGHT NOT BE ON

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
If the dome lights stayed on all the time it would indicate that one of the 3 buttons that trigger them is defective (one on each door and one on lift gate). By removing each, one at a time and removing the wire, it should show which switch might be bad. I believe the lighting circuit is closed when a ground is created thus turning on the lights, so it could be something is grounded which shouldn't be. Do you have a simple continuity test light?
ALSO CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE NEW LIGHT SWITCH IS NOT TURNED ALL THE WAY CLOCKWISE BECAUSE THAT WILL TURN ON THE DOME LIGHTS AS WELL. TURN THE KNOB COUNTER CLOCKWISE A BIT AND SEE IF THE DOME LIGHTS MIGHT NOT BE ON

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I do have a continuity tester. I don't mind swapping out the dome fixtures to newer ones because the bulbs are an upgrade.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
I would guess it is the lift gate switch. I had to add a rubber bumper to my lift to make sure it depressed the light switch.

Dennis

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
If the lift gate is not closing tightly the 2 catches on either side (the round part in the jamb) have a torx fitting in the end which can be loosened and adjusted in or out to change how tight the lift gate latches. If that is the problem though you would think with the doors closed and the lift gate up that the dome lights would go out when you manually pushed in the lift gate button manually by hand