•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

replacing spindle bearings

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I need to replace the spindle bearings on my 1990 B2. It has a Dana 35 front axle. This started as just replacing the wheel bearings because the right front wheel felt a little shaky. I couldnt get to the wheel bearings because I dont have the hub tool to remove the giant locknut. After looking at it I realized the spindle bearings seem to be the issue and the wheel bearings are most likely fine.

Does anyone know where I can find/buy/rent a "4 prong hub tool and a spindle bearing replacer tool # T83T3123A? I got this info from the tech library on TRS.

Thanks,
Geoff

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
the 4 prong hub socket any auto parts store should have, and for the other tool, what i did was just remove the spindle snout and tapped it out the back with a long screwdriver, and tapped the new one in with a similar size socket and then greased it up and put it back together

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
You can get the socket at just about any decent parts house. It is the same for the 1/2ton trucks, including the GMs', and Dodges. Do yourself a favor, and get the one that has the 4 prongs inside the edge of the socket body. This style is less likely to slip off of the spindle nuts right about the time that you almost get the nuts to break free/ tighetn fully. I also use a jack stand to help support the socket, since I can never find anybody to help me with MY stuff.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
check it real good

I need to replace the spindle bearings on my 1990 B2. It has a Dana 35 front axle. This started as just replacing the wheel bearings because the right front wheel felt a little shaky. I couldnt get to the wheel bearings because I dont have the hub tool to remove the giant locknut. After looking at it I realized the spindle bearings seem to be the issue and the wheel bearings are most likely fine.

Does anyone know where I can find/buy/rent a "4 prong hub tool and a spindle bearing replacer tool # T83T3123A? I got this info from the tech library on TRS.

Thanks,
Geoff
Worn wheel bearings ( which are on the outside of the spindle) make the wheel wobble.
Worn spindle bearing (only one, on the inside rear of the spindle) will not make the wheel wobble.
When the hub is removed, the axle is not held on the the outboard end, so it will wiggle around a lot even with a brand new spindle bearing.

IMHO, you cannot easily check the spindle bearing until you remove the spindle.

As for the tool, in a pinch, you can use a hammer and square end punch, autozone should be able to loan one to you, right?

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Hey Dusto thanks for the fast response. You 2 Mudhound. Dusto I'm not sure what you mean by the spindle snout but I'm guessing I'll see it when I take it apart. Thanks for the advice, you make it sound like its not a difficult job.
One thing I forgot to ask, since I already bought the wheel bearings I'm going to put the new ones in when I do the spindle bearings. Are the bearing races difficult to remove/replace? Is it necessary to get a bearing race driver to hammer them in?
Geoff

Black_Splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L

Thanks,
Geoff
This one works better for the locknuts.

Last edited:

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
dennis461 you bring an interesting point. I ASSUMED (bad bad word) that since the axle was wobbly with the hub off that is was the spindle bearing, not the wheel bearing. I'll get the tool I need and replace the wheel bearings since I have them and check the spindle bearing while I have it all apart. Thanks for the heads up!!