•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

roof rack

jeff3021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco II
My 89 doesn't have the factory roof rack & I was considering putting on a wilderness rack but they aren't cheap ($500+)! Any body make one them selves and how did you mount it? I read something about mounting to the drip rails becasue I don't like the idea of pokin' holes in the roof if I don't have have to. I would be hauling camping gear and a canoe along with the spare and some trail tools. I've got all the fab equiptment just looking for some ideas. Thanks:icon_welder:

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Me and my brother in law are building one for my 90 B2. We built one for his Suburban, and going to work on mine this weekend or next. His is a 10'x4', and mine's going to be a 6'x4'. We used 1" square tubing, with the bottom bars 6 inches apart, and a 6" basket. Then we did a few coats of black Rustoleum, and he mounted it where his old roof rack was.

For mine, we took some gutter mounts off of an old painter's van at Pick-a-part, and will weld the rack to there. You might be able to find smaller ones off of other vehicles too.

<br>
<br>
<br>

jeff3021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco II
vert cool, & thanks for the photos. Post some pics of yours when you have it installed I would really like to see it.

bombsquad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I made my own rof about 150 bucks!!

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Finished.
My brother in law stood on 2 of the bottom bars, with little bending.

We noticed that the front and back gutters are not straight with each other, the rear ones curve a bit, so the brackets had to be mounted a little crooked.

jeff3021

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
bronco II
cool! Thanks for the pics!