•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

roof steel popping

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I recently bought a 84 BII with slightsurface rust in a few spots. The head liner cloth has been removed and the board backing remains. When I am driving down the road the roof occasionaly pops with wind. Are there some braces behind the head liner that have been a common problem. The truck has its original interior carpet and seats. I would be surprized if I found serious rusting behind the liner.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Not that I am aware of. Not a popping sound. No sunroof?

The one I have heard about is poor rear rigidly as it ages. The rear liftgate provides part of the rigidity.

On the headliner I do hear a sound, not sure what to make of the sound though. Not a click, not a pop., not quite a snap and it is rather faint and seems to occur from just normal type rolling vibrations. I have experienced that in all three B2s I have owned thru the years. When I first heard it I thought it was something in my skull since it seems to come from directly over the front passenger's heads.

My windshield makes a loud snap on occasion sounding like a rock hit it. That seems to be related to heating up and cooling down.

tdwaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
roof noise cont.

It may be related to rear hatch rigidity. The PS latch was not snapping all the way in. I spent some time getting that rear door latching well. We'll see if any noises abate or decrease. Taking down the head liner backing is not high on the need to do next list. No sunroof.

3rd Petal

Reaction score
My B2 did that when I bought it. The roof "skin" is just bonded to braces that run through the middle, and the epoxy that glues them together can lose its hold. The roof on mine is a little beat up too from people hauling junk up there, so that might be part of what caused the problem.

When I was re-doing the headliner in mine, I wedged some wood shims between the roof and the braces before I put the headliner back in, and that seemed to fix my problem