•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

shelled M5OD

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
well it still sux no matter what happened, your in the same dilemna as me. im looking for a 3.0 m50d to get rid of my pos a4ld, the tranny is good and shifts but it shifts all over the place and never when i want or need it to. if i can find one cheap enuff ill attempt redoing it w/ 4.0 internals that way itll hold up to the turbo 3.3 engine. i never meant for it to be implied that i said its stronger, just a better ratio for more power output due to dif 1 2 3 ratio. as far as rebuilding a manual automobile tranny, i have never changed a clutch much less messed w/ a tranny, so itll be an experience for me all the way around. if im going to do it im going to do it right the first time w/ as much info as possible. hell if you werent 7 hours away littlehorse i prob would have trkd it up there and helped you w/ it one wknd that way we could both learn from the experience.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
CARNAGE PICS!!! NOT FOR THOSE WITH A WEAK STOMACH!!!

I'll start with more of the clutch.

Here is the "clutch cheese" that was piled in the bellhousing. Some of it had already fallen out at this point.

Here is the flywheel - showing wear but no apparent damage from the rivets.

Then I took the extension housing off...

And the top cover.

Wait, what's that I see toward the front there???

As it currently sits

So the diagnosis was correct - the gear on the input shaft is totally stripped, and there is heavy damage on the corresponding countershaft gear.

The output shaft seems to be dragging on something when I spin it - I cleaned some metal shards out of Reverse and it got a lot smoother, so I imaging there's probably some more in the bearings or the 5th gear on the countershaft. Hopefully there isn't any another gear damage on any of the gears I wasn't planning on replacing.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
looks like first gear in a honda trx500 when you pull 28 inch tires and a lift kit. spinning in mud grab a stick all of a sudden clickity clickity... how do the synchros look? if they are busted and all you have is one gear (4th like my friends trk...) she ended up revving the piss out of 4th and taking off to get it home, doing the same thing your trk is experiencing. they just didnt keep driving it like what looks what happened to yours. cheers buddy, and changing to a 4.0 gearset is pointless if they skrewd 4th and 5th since they are the same as a 4.0 anyway. its still interesting to see tho. i love carnage...cheers to successful diagnostic b4 teardown!:icon_cheers:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
I have seen transmission carnage exactly like that several times but that clutch is definitely something new to me. If you are indeed going to rebuild that thing then I would suggest scrubbing down that case while you have it all apart.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I ended up buying a used replacement from a '92 Explorer w/ 4.0. I've received interest in my case and main shaft of the old trans, so I disassembled it last night.

I must say, I am GLAD I didn't try to rebuild this thing. A lot of those bearings as well as the splined synchro ring for 3-4 were pretty tough to get off without whatever tools a transmission shop would have been using, and though the gears probably weren't reusable anyway due to digesting input shaft pieces, if they would have been fine, I'd have ended up replacing 3rd gear and the 3-4 synchro assembly anyway.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Somebody coasted in gear with that thing and flung the clutch faces off. Seen it before. The giveaway is that despite the clutch faces being gone, the rivets are not ground down.

The tranny probably dies from low oil and a failed bearing that led to ground-off teeth.
Actually it's far more likely someone burned it most of the way off struggling around in a tranny witha burned input gear and thus only 4th.
and after the friction material was compromised it shattered.

Remember that "4th" isn't actually a gear at all but rather "direct drive"
a locking collar that connects the input to the output.

Also remember that when the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel
it won't actually come close to touching the flywheel

I blew the friction material off ONE SIDE of a disc and it wouldn't drive at all.

AD
AD