•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Shock(ing)

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I know that because of the flaw of the suspension, the inside front tire will lift in turns, thus the rear outside corner with dip. KYB makes what they call the "MonoMax". Will putting this (or any other for that matter) heavy duty shock on the rear help decrease (obviously it can't cure it completly) this issue by keeping the rear from dipping in turns? Also, does any body make a larger diameter sway bar for the rear? Thanks y'all.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
what are you doing with your Bronco II that lifts the inside front tire?

I'm not sure what you mean by flaw in the suspension, any car will lift the inside front tire if you corner hard enough. It's a natural byproduct of turning that the weight transfers to the outside. Shocks are unlikely to make a difference as generally speaking they control the speed at which the suspension compresses and not the amount of compression itself. Sway bar would be your best bet - but an oversized rear sway bar can have its own undesirable consequences.

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
"If you corner hard enough" yes, but the BII does it low speed too. This is why they tend to flip. I tend to drive aggessively, this is why I put a sway bar under my ram.:headbang: I run mostly steet, so I am just aiming for that little bit more control. I'm due for suspension, so I'm just looking at options.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
well to tell you the truth a bigger sway bar isn't something I've shopped for on my bronco II, so I can't make any recommendations. I have a motorcycle to rip up the corners with ;)

Some high-pressure gas shocks might help, since they do "push" toward extension like a spring. Stiffer coils and add-a-leafs in the rear would probably help too. A stiffer rear sway bar might be hard to find for a 4x4, since it would be something that decreases off-road performance.

Removing your front sway bar would keep the tire on the ground, but it would also contribute to instability and body roll and would make the rollover potential even worse.

Then there's lengthening the wheelbase, not exactly practical....

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
"Then there's lengthening the wheelbase, not exactly practical..." :icon_rofl: Yeah!
I tried Hellwig, where I got the one for the Ram, and all of the others are the same as stock. Not looking for much bigger, just a bit (that negative affect thing).
"Some high-pressure gas shocks might help, since they do "push" toward extension like a spring." This was my thought exactly. Basicly the rear will be more "supportive" than the front. These will also help with sagging under load... I guess I will try and see. It sounds good on paper anyways. I still plan on doing the add-a-leaf or something similar as well.
MJ