•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Shocks for best ride

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My 88 has a 2" spacer lift, stock coils and leafs with new (~2k miles) Gabriel Ultra shocks.

The front seems ok.. but the back jars over small bumps/ruts/holes.

This truck is my get work in bad weather, take the wife and dog for a ride vehicle. I don't wheel it.

I'd like to be able to go down a dirt road faster than 5 mph without jolting us to pieces. Same for hitting bumps on main roads.

I'm thinking that even the cheapest OEM replacements might be better as the Ultras are just too stiff.

Looking for suggestions based upon experience from others.

Thanks!

efilnicufecin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am having the same issue with my 88. I have been looking for the same answer as you.....Dont buy Monroe Matics, or Monroe Sensatrac shocks......They haven't worked for me......I am looking at some Bilstein 24-022361 4600 Series Front Shock (83-97 Ranger)$73 each (before shipping)& Bilstein 24-184984 4600 Series Rear Shock (83-97 Ranger)$80 each (before shipping).

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I finally got around to doing something about the shocks.
My initial thought was that the shocks were too short and topping out due to using stock length shocks with a 2" lift.

After pulling them I found out that they were an inch longer than stock and as I already knew, stiff as all get out.

I had ordered the cheapest set I could find on amazon, which turned out to be Monroe Matics. For the front I added a shock extender which adds ~2 1/4" of length. In the back I ordered shocks for a Ranger that are about 5" longer. Just compressing them by hand it's easy to see that they are far less stiff.

It does ride much better. Gone is the jarring over small bumps and the stability over sharp bumps is much better. There is one pavement joint on a local highway that is on a slight turn that would bounce the BII a foot to the side (fun times!). Now it you feel the hit but it tracks straight over it.

I know they are cheap shocks and likely not long lived, when they wear out I'll think about more upscale options. I'm happy for now that my tool box isn't getting airborne over every pavement joint in town :)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I don't think Bronco 2 and best ride should be in the same sentence. I can't remember what shocks were put on my 88 B2 but it rides just as rough as it did with the OEM shocks on it. I don't think they're capable of having anything but a harsh ride, its a short narrow wheel base any pebble you hit is going to let you know you hit it.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I don't think Bronco 2 and best ride should be in the same sentence. I can't remember what shocks were put on my 88 B2 but it rides just as rough as it did with the OEM shocks on it. I don't think they're capable of having anything but a harsh ride, its a short narrow wheel base any pebble you hit is going to let you know you hit it.
I agree, but it can get worse. Having stiff sidewall all terrains doesn't help either.

Odd thing about the Gabriel Ultra's, when I compressed them by hand they got much softer half way down their travel. Seems like it should be other way around.

Besides seat of the pants feel, I can hear the difference. The amount of rattling is down significantly.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Looked at the Les Schwab receipt, shows Gabriel Pro Guard Shocks were put on my B2.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9l
Suspension Style
4wd
Hey Jerry, funny seeing you here lol. I have Gabriel Pro Guards on my 89 and it rides rough as hell. Granted, I have the original front and rear springs from 1989. On one road there is a large bump where two points meet. It's in a curve, It sticks up about 3 inches and it shoots my back end out. When I was installing the proguards I remember they were extremely stiff. Was stupid when doing the first shock and cut the thing keeping it compressed. Like to never got it in the mounts.

Btw: My fronts seems to feel fine, but my rear shakes and jerks all over the place. My house has a gravel driveway and it feel like my BII is trying to twerk the whole way down lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Good to see that you've joined here too.
BTDT with the shock strap :) But no problem with the Monroe's. I can compress them easy enough. I didn't even jack up the truck to put them on.

These are what I just put on the back, they are ~2.4" longer than stock to accommodate the 2" lift block:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COU7WU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are stock length:
https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-32237-Monro-Matic-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000COO406/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504102603&vehicle=1988-54-634-649--30-11-8-3455--8-2-852-143-4-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1988%3Aford%3Abronco+ii&refinements=p_89%3AMonroe

They are pretty cheap if you just want to get a set and try them.

kendale

Reaction score
Good reference Jerry! Monroe's are well known here as well.

wend3lrt

Reaction score
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Bilstein shocks can provide a firmer ride that is perfect for offroading.