•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Shudder with first gear take off

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey all,

Would like to pick some brains here if possible. Finally started daily driving my bronco with confidence. However, it recently developed an intermittent issue. From time to time, from an absolute stand still, it will shudder taking off in first gear letting out the clutch. I've been driving for years. Here is my current thinking:

Clutch has less than 5k miles. Same with Slave cylinder **not master, it is likely original to body. Has anyone had one go bad?
The pedal feels good still. When clutch hydraulics in my k10 chevy started to fail, it would feel like the pedal would get caught on the floormat. (Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but its not typical pedal feel).

I was also thinking perhaps there is an oil leak that has contaminated the face of the clutch or flywheel. It would make sense, since we've been driving it more and more, that the oil could make its way into the bell housing.

But dang it! The rear main seal was replaced with the clutch, valve cover gaskets replaced earlier as well. What other common oil leak could let enough into the bell housing? Its too bad I can't remove that inspection plate without pulling the trans.

If its not oil leak, I'm thinking its potentially clutch hydraulics. But it would really burn me if clutch components are already failing me. They all came from NAPA few years back when I did change the clutch. We haven't been able to drive it without dealing with the TFI issue I was having until recently.

Any help helps
Thanks in advance

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6