•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Size Questions - ordering engine rebuild kit

NETX_S4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I finally have my 88 B2 engine torn down and mostly cleaned up, and am about to order a rebuild kit.

I originally planned to order standard sized components unless a rebore was required, but discovered the existing engine was a rebuild so I'm not sure what I'm working with.

Main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, and rings are all available to order in original size or various oversize options. I've measured all the parts I pulled out, but I can't find specs on what "original" should be to determine what sizes I need order.

Here's what I know:
Cylinder ID: 3.69-3.7" (I think 3.66 is standard?)
Rod bearing thickness (cross section): .059"
Main bearing thickness (cross section): .075"

Any guidance is appreciated!

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
All those specs should be in any service manual... even a Haynes manual.

I had the factory manual on CD that I would share info from. But I tried to use it not long ago and it was wiped clean somehow.

NETX_S4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I did look at the specs in the Chilton manual, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, it's probably there and I'm just overlooking it. This is my first engine build/rebuild, so I'm taking it slow and learning as I go.

I did double-check the bearings and found they both (main and rod) are labelled 010, so I think that question is answered.

If standard bore is 3.66 and mine is measuring 3.69/3.7, I'm guessing the pistons are .02 or .03?

If I get .02 pistons and rings, can I bump up to .03 piston rings if they are too loose?

Last edited: