•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

skyjacker drop pitman arm

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
just installed a 3in duff stage 1. steering is a little wobbly. will a skyjacker drop pitman arm correct that or do i really need the full super runner steering kit to make the b2 go straight again without constant corrections

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
You may need a drop arm.

Did you install one with the Duff kit or you running the stock arm?

Also, a picture of the the tierods straight on is worth a thousand words.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
running the stock, kit didn't come with one. did some research in the forums and library and saw that it might be the fix i need. i just don't want to spend $500 on the superrunner kit, if all i need is the $130 skyjacker one. i'll post a pic as soon as the camera charges a bit.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
A regular drop arm will put you very close to where it needs to be and clear up most of your bumpsteer issues.

I'd only go the SuperRunner route if you plan to run a total of 4-5" of lift in the near future. Sometimes one can find one used for much cheaper....

rngmStr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Xplorer
Engine Size
4.0L
I'd save the $500 and just go with the Skyjacker, not that much of a lift and you "should" be able to get by with the FA400. I believe that a drop pitman arm for a 4" lift is only a 2" drop actually ie: Rough Country, Tuff Country

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yeah you need to do something with that steering for sure.

A drop arm (Skyjacker FA400, etc.) should help out a lot, however the Superlift Superrunner steering kit would be even better still (especially if you drop the centerlink on it down another inch so it matches up with your lift exactly). I wouldn't say it's completely necessary on a 3" lift though.

Edit, fast-moving thread I see :icon_twisted:

Last edited:

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
thanks guys. ordered the 400 drop pitman arm. i'll see how it drives and if its still bad, i'll save up for that superrunner kit.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Got anymore pics of the truck??? I have a jd 3 inch kit I just need some time to install it.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
i dont have any with the lift installed yet. its been raining too much lately to get a good one. love the jd lift, a little stiff, but not bad.

things it didn't include were the drop pitman arm for the steering, longer brake lines, and for my truck, the add a leafs werent enough to make it level. thankfully swapping to an 8.8 axle instead of the 7.5 added enough lift to make it sit level. otherwise, i planned on using belltech shackles.

have fun installing the lift! rivets are fun...

V8 Rally Ranger

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO SEFI +
drop pitman arm

did you ever install the drop arm? and which one and do you have photos?

I have a first generation and I race it its 2wd but I need better steering control, want to try this before I go to rack N pin..

i hope the pictures loaded. might be a little dark.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Reviving my old thread. Can't believe its been this long already.

Anyway, got the pitman arm long time ago. Got preoccupied with everything and my engine, tranny swap took awhile due to time constraints. Now that bronco is running again, I was looking to install the pitman arm and broke open the directions included. Is it just me, or do the directions make it seem way more complicated than it actually is? I thought all I would need to do is remove the two bolts in the old pitman arm, install new pitman arm, and replace bolts, and done. Directions make it sound like you have to disassemble the entire steering assembly and a lot can go wrong. Please tell me I'm making this harder than it is. Thx!

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You need a pitman arm puller, but other than that, it's pretty simple.

Loosen the castle nut for the linkage itself (but leave it loose for now), pull the arm itself off the steering box with the puller, now remove the castle nut and give the end of the arm itself a few hard whacks with a hammer, it'll fall off of the linkage onto the ground.
Reassemble with new dropped pitman arm.
Finally check your wheel's toe alignment (most likely it'll be toed way out after you put the new arm on).

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Ok cool thx. I knew I was just overthinkin it. Sometimes directions do more harm then good lol