•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Some bolt sizes for a 1984 Bronco II

JRR1285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster but I have been lurking around here for a very long time, longer than I can remember. Anyway, I recently got around to beginning work on my Bronco II. I have had it for a long time (2000) and it has taken the back seat to numerous other things, namely my '71 Mach 1 and an '83 Z-28 I have.

It is still in fantastic shape and I have been struggling with what I should do with it. I decided to do a duraspark conversion rather than a 302 conversion mainly based on cost and not wanting the undertaking of doing the 302 with the fall fast approaching.

Back on topic I recently pulled the engine and I am assessing what it needs. I removed the pressure plate and flywheel losing a pressure plate bolt in the process and discovering that someone had used an odd bolt for one of the flywheel to crank bolts. It is a shorter bolt with a coarser thread.

So in summary I need to know what bolt thread size and length the pressure plate bolts are, and I am hoping someone can help me out with the thread size on the flywheel to crank bolts along with the length as well. I am having a hell of a time finding any info online regarding these bolts.

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help and also for all of the informative threads I have read here for all these years. I actually thought I had all the information I needed without asking any questions to finish my whole project. This site is great and I have learned so much by finding it.

Slammin Sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If someone replaced the flywheel to crank bolt with a course thread you will have to retap the hole. Fine threads use a larger tap drill than a course thread. You might want to keep that odd ball bolt and locktight it when you put it back together. The better idea may be to helicoil the flange to return to the original thread.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
This sounds like my 84 B2, previous owner just threw things together with whatever they had nevermind stripping out bolts/threads. They screwed up the starter mounting threads in the engine, didn't tighten down the flywheel bolts correctly so they started falling out on their own. Valve cover bolts or the threads in the engine are stripped. There's nothing to fix this easily as you'll always have odd bolts in the future after you fix it and the proper fix would be to re-tap to the next size as sometimes these thread repairs don't hold up.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
They are metric bolts and threads. For good balance you want all the same both flywheel and pressure plate. You can possibly get the bolts at your local hardware store if they have a good variety. The stripped bolt hole in the crank may be alright as long as the bolt stripped and not the crank. Find the shaft size and thread and get a tap and chase the threads first you can possibly just get 6 bolts a little longer and get them to torque to spec. Just be careful with starting the tap to chase the threads it should go in nice and easy. If you cant get that bolt to torque to spec then yea the helicoil is the best option.

JRR1285

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually found a set of metric flywheel bolts on amazon that I bought. If they work out I will post a link for future reference. The pressure plate bolts are a lesser concern for me but I want to try and make them all the same so there is no imbalance.

On to a new topic, I cracked a piece of the stud mount off of my exhaust manifold. It is close to being intact and I still have the piece so I was thinking of using some type of furnace cement or something along those lines. I believe there is manifold repair cement I can source as well. I will replace the stud and I am hoping it holds up. I found a manifold on eBay I may have to buy.

I'm hoping this is the right thing to get for the studs, I may not remove the other studs as they are in "OK" shape and I can't afford to break them too. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1059-03129.aspx

I also broke two bolts off in the heads for the manifolds. Should be able to get them out easy enough. Sorry to be such a pest but does anyone know the bolt specs (thread, size?) for those? Does it matter if they are fully threaded or does there need to be a shoulder?