•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Some questions about a front and rear 4 link.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Right now I am in the process of bagging and body dropping my 1958 Chevrolet Panel Truck and I am working on a 4 link rear suspension for it. After this project is done I am going to build my 86 B2. I am looking to 4 link the front and rear and have a few questions about it. I know with my 58 Chevy the airbags will hold the weight of the truck and the link will just be used to keep the axle underneath the truck. Now with my B2... if I 4 linked the rear would I have to install coil springs in the rear to hold the weight of the truck? My buddies who have introduced my into the air ride scene know all about lowering trucks but not much about 4wd's. I understand how the front will work and I was curious if the back will work the same with the coil springs? The link wouldn't be very hard and if the coil springs is the way to do it adding the spring cups etc wouldnt be hard either. Also would the heim joint link be better for the rear? I ask this because I have a buddy that is redoing his bagged nissan truck and he said for $50 I can get his heim joint 4 link.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Judging from your picture, I assume your B2 is mostly a trail use vehicle?

I don't know why airbags would be appropriate/necessary for a 4x4, I assume you are either leaving it stock height or lifting it? I'd be looking at coil springs, coilovers or ORI struts if I was 4 linking the rear of my trail rig. I have seen other people that have used bags in the rear of their trail rigs but not very many. Just the fact that they are more susceptible to damage offroad would steer me away from those quickly.

So for the front, I assume you are doing a solid axle, since you are thinking about 4 linking that too? Again, coil springs would be the cheapest and easiest, but coilovers or struts are an excellent option too.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well I am not putting air bags on my b2 just my chevrolet pickup. I am wanting to do a SAS if I can learn enough to do it. I will most likely do coil springs because it seems like the easiest and possible most cost efficient application. My main concern now is trying to find a donor for axles. Was thinking about using the explorer d35 and with that I wouldnt need the 4 linked front with the ttb. My other idea was using axles out of an old 80 model F150 F250 maybe a bronco. It just depends on what donor I find for my price.