•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

spring removal

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
ok i am tryig to trade my front springs out on my 87 Bronco II. i have tha shocks out and am ready to remove the spring but i cant get the nut off of the bottom of the spring. there is a rivet in the way of turning te nut. am i doin something wrong or what? thanks rough

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
MAZDA
ok i am tryig to trade my front springs out on my 87 Bronco II. i have tha shocks out and am ready to remove the spring but i cant get the nut off of the bottom of the spring. there is a rivet in the way of turning te nut. am i doin something wrong or what? thanks rough
Within the coil spring you will see a threaded bolt, with a nut at its base. If it is the same as mine, it is a 28mm nut. That is what you need to pull up. Don't loosen the nut on the underside of the beam.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
that nut is what i am talkin about, i cant get a socket on the nut because there is a rivet that is right beside the flat side of the nut. i cant get a socket on it and the rivet is in the way of turning the nut! i hope you are understanding what iam saying! thanks rough

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Can you maybe grind off the rivet or even cut it with a saw? I didn't have one on either side of my truck.... You can also use an 1 1/8" socket/wrench if all you have is standard.

JFA_Spyderman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1969, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Yo,
Is this 2WD or 4WD? And can you take a picture of the nut/rivet you are reffering to?

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
MAZDA
Yea I would like to see photos as JFA requested... I don't think I have ever run into that problem.

The first time I took it off, I had to soak it in PB for quite a while.. but it doesnt sound like that is your problem.

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i dont have a digital camre so i cant take a pic. sorry i am goin to look at it again this evening and hopefully find somethin out.... thanks rough