•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Stall test...

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Trying to test the condition of the torque converter. Anybody know what the desired outcome should be? This is going along with my "Mystery Time" post. I did the test per the instructions I read online, but when I step on the gas, the motor lags for a second then will shoot up to 5K before I let off.

Instructions say it should only max out at around 1800-2K, is this correct?

Thanks!

:D

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
1800 to 2000 sounds right to me.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, so am I to figure from this that the converter is bad? Despite reading and re-reading the procedure for the test, I'm kind of unsure as to what I should be expecting, because I can rev up my daily driver, and it will go up to the rev limiter, not only a certain RPM.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
IIRC test is done with foot on brake and other foot on gas. Without spinning or moving, the revs you get are your converter stall speed which shouldn't be over ~2000 for a stock converter. If you've mixed and matched converters you can get a higher stall, such as putting in a 9" converter in place of an 11". Another possibility is as PetesPonies has suggested....problems with your trans.
Remember that I'm not a trans guru or a mechanic, I've been wrong before and will again....just saying.

Richard

Last edited:

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You have the proper amount of trans fluid in it??
Yes sir, according to the tell tale stick I do.

IIRC test is done with foot on brake and other foot on gas. Without spinning or moving, the revs you get are your converter stall speed which shouldn't be over ~2000 for a stock converter. If you've mixed and matched converters you can get a higher stall, such as putting in a 9" converter in place of an 11". Another possibility is as PetesPonies has suggested....problems with your trans.
Remember that I'm not a trans guru or a mechanic, I've been wrong before and will again....just saying.

Richard

I'm not in the same time zone as an actual expert, so any help is welcome. That's what I thought, I've got all 4 wheels off the ground, so there is no spinning or movement at all. Like I said, I lay on the throttle and it goes all the way up to the redline.

What my issue is, (in case you haven't seen my other post on the issue), is that when I press the pedal it acts like it's dragging a house. The motor will go up the the 2-2500 range and it will be slow rolling, and if you hit a hill, forget it. It serious acts like the E-brake is stuck, but the wheels turn freely when in Neutral so I know that's not the issue.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So you have an A4LD trans?? If so I bet the clutches are shot or something similar. It's not a strong trans, they all go bad . . well almost :)

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So you have an A4LD trans?? If so I bet the clutches are shot or something similar. It's not a strong trans, they all go bad . . well almost :)
I do have the A4LD. I can't imagine that it just went bad all of the sudden. I was running fine, I got stuck, got pulled out, then it just broke? Sounds fishy.

:icon_confused:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
No, your explanation legitimizes it even more. It is a weak trans. YOu got stuck and tried to get yourself out, you broke it then. It's slam dunk, sorry.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No, your explanation legitimizes it even more. It is a weak trans. YOu got stuck and tried to get yourself out, you broke it then. It's slam dunk, sorry.

Wow. Ok, so what kind of options do I have here? I can go pull a A4LDs' from the yard all day long, but if they're inherently inferior, am I wasting my time? Is there a substitute transmission that is a better model that plugs right in?

Mind you, I'm relatively new to Fords. I've owned a boatload of Jeeps, but this is my first Ford, so I'm on the learning curve.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
There are no other choices for an OD transmission. A few people install a C4/C5, which is a tough trans, but only a 3 speed. The C5 was used in the 84/85 trucks and can be put behind a 2.9 you find the right pieces from a donor .. but not easy to find. When I went with a V8 in my 84, I had left over pieces for swapping a C4/C5 and had lot of people wanting to buy them. You best bet is getting an A4LD built. There are some improvements that can be done during rebuild if you find a good place to do it. As with most trans repairs, it's all about the person doing the job.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, well I guess I'll start shopping around for a good trans man.

I'd still like to know 100% that it's smoked, is there anyway to confirm before I go through the trouble of pulling? I should've mentioned that the fluid is freshly changed and still red with a slight burnt smell.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My grandfather's 93 ford ranger's a4ld tranny was bad when we got it home, my uncle just parked it because he got tired of dealing with it. Rebuilt transmission and it ran good for another 13 months, then all of a sudden it lost forward gears again, sold the truck for parts for $700 was not about to waste another $2k on a POS transmission.

I would look at a different transmission period, or you'll keep having the same failures. These transmissions were trash, and Ford wouldn't step up and do something about it.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Damn.

Should I have stuck with Jeeps? :sad:

Seriously though, I'm at standstill because I bought the Bronco to take on camping trips and do some light to medium wheeling, I don't need something that's going to dive out on me miles from home. I'm not big on modifying things too much.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Vehicle
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC

Richard
Your on the right track, but that will not show stall. To get the stall you hold your foot on brake and get the rpms right before the vehicle starts to move, Then hammer on it. What ever the rpms jump to that instant is your stall speed. Do not do this for more then 5 seconds, else youll blow that trans to pieces

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Your on the right track, but that will not show stall. To get the stall you hold your foot on brake and get the rpms right before the vehicle starts to move, Then hammer on it. What ever the rpms jump to that instant is your stall speed. Do not do this for more then 5 seconds, else youll blow that trans to pieces
So will a stall test not be accurate if all 4 wheels are off the ground?

I guess the real question is, new converter or new tranny.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
It's a bad trans. Don't tease yourself. You can look at having it rebuilt with some upgrades . . . get a C4/C5 as I said before and loose OD . . . . or switch to a manual trans.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It's a bad trans. Don't tease yourself. You can look at having it rebuilt with some upgrades . . . get a C4/C5 as I said before and loose OD . . . . or switch to a manual trans.
I'll take that into consideration. I like the idea of switching to manual, but that would eliminate the wife driving, which comes in handy.

As for the C4/C5 conversion, Like I said, I'm not big on modifying things too far from factory. I'll look more into it though.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The C5 came in 84 and 85. So they are out there and will bolt to the 2.9. But because they were only around two years, they are sought after.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Is there an A4LD build up guide anywhere? I'd like to read through it to consider my options.