•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

starter/flywheel issues

crazydog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford bronco 11
just purchased a 89 bronc II ,starter makes a heck of a noise while cranking,its got a new flywheel and starter on it. tried another starter still making noise.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hello,
Can you be more descriptive of the sound? Have you checked that the starter is securely mounted to the bell housing? Your sig doesn't say if you have auto or manual trans but as I recall the starters on the BII are the same, on the 4.0 they are different and won't interchange. Let us know and we'll try our best to help you out. Cheers!

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
dude i had the same problem. eventually i ate through 3 starters. i found out after awhile that its the bendix. its the little gear that engages thge flywheel ( terrible grinding noise right?) chack out how many teeth it has, probrobly 9. it needs to be a 10 tooth bendix to engage properly. not sure where to get one. my uncle got me one. but you gotta take the 9 tooth off and put the 10 tooth on

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
with my auto. I had the flexplate replaced.
Long story short...

the after market plate was like 1/16 of a inch to thin and would not allow the starter to engage properly. even replaced the starter. Found a ford b2 flexplate from the dealer, got it installed and everything was good.