•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Starter housing problems

Redneck1939

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys I got and 84 b2 and I'm having a starter issue the starter housing keeps snapping on the ring were the lower bolt goes through. I am now on my third starter and I'm at a loss. fly wheel looks fine,what could be the issue? I bought it in feb then the starter went out three weeks ago and the second one yesterday. It sounds horrible when starting also. Thanks!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You may need to shim the starter, or your starter bolts are not the correct ones as was my case, I wasn't breaking the housings, but the starter bolts wouldn't hold the starter in position for more than a couple days, then I'd have to crawl underneath and realign the starter again so it would quit grinding.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Are there differences between manual and auto starters? IE; orientation or nose depth or...

Richard

Redneck1939

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The first starter I tried to shim it because of the noise it was making it didn't help none. The bolts I couldn't tell ya if they were the correct ones or not. Is there anything else it could possibly be?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Does the starter keep coming lose, or seem to start grinding worse after a few starts, or a few days? If so you most likely have the wrong bolts. If you are breaking the mounting tabs off the starter you are probably over-torquing the bolts to begin with.

Also, it took me 4 starters before I got one that sounds pretty descent, these rebuilt starters are garbage and should be illegal.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
JUst make sure it is sitting perfectly flush when it's seated. Otherwise strain would be on a mounting lug as you tighten it.

Redneck1939

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
No it's not coming loose and it sounds the same if anything it sounds better and then gets worse I will make sure it's in properly thanks for the input guys