•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

still having wipe issues.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Ok so I have only have high for wipers and they only work for about a minute before they just quit work and I half to turn the switch off and play with it before they will work again. Now I have replaced the wiper switch and the "wcm" and the wiper motor and still nothing has changed , And I even tried unpluging the motor and jumpering to the batter , Then I can get low and high but they still stop working about a minute afterwords. I'm at a loss of what to do now and it rais like crazy where I live and wiring to a toggle switch wont be of any help I'm shure ? :pissedoff:

shadetreebronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had the same type of problem with my 87 , just purchased two weeks ago.
Delay wipers would stop working and signal lights would slow at stop lights , I
found that after i checked and tightened the battery terminals the probs went away.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well I just replaced all my battery cables and my alternator and a new battery and new starter (another problem I'm having) and I checked the ground at the wiper motor and all is good ? Battery terminals are tight also.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
FWIW, a ground can test good with a meter but when under load it can build up resistance. That's why I was saying to ground it straight to the battery.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Thanks jerry c . I grounded the motor to the battery and it no longer stops working. But I still only have high speed ?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, so we know ground is a problem, time to check the chassis grounds and fix that or you'll have electrical gremlins forever. Might as well do this first just in case it fixes the problem. I'm going to guess that the engine to firewall ground is bad or it is missing. Mine was not good, it goes from the driver side cylinder head to firewall. But I don't see why you couldn't run a ground from battery to the firewall. You are essentially doing that by grounding the wiper. The manual says that the wiper motor is grounded through the attachment bolt so I'd clean up that bolt and the motor and body where they bolt together.

I use this stuff on my grounds:
http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=926

It's a conductive grease, it will protect the connections from rust and corrosion and helps with conductivity with uneven or pitted surfaces. It's the opposite of dielectric grease which is non-conductive so you don't want to use it where there are multiple connections in a single plug or you could have a short where you don't want it. I use it on my battery terminals too. Stuff is blacker than black from the carbon and will stain the crap out of whatever it touches (wear gloves).

Running only on high is the problem I had with mine, and two different techs said it was the wiper governor module.

When I pulled that out I saw that the insulation had rotted off and the wiring had rubbed through in a couple of spots. I taped it up and it worked again. Look for crusty connectors too, get some contact cleaner spray and wash down the connectors.

With intermittent wipers, high speed bypasses that governor circuit so it will work if the module goes bad.

For standard wipers it really is just the wiper switch, the wiring and the motor. Worst comes to worst you could wire in a standard switch, that was my fall back plan.

Last edited: