•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

stock b2 rack

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
This is a redundant question. but because of my old age and laziness :D, i cant seem to find a clear answer on the search.
anywoo...
my b2 has no stock roof rack on it and never did. Im looking to get a stock rack and am wondering if i could stick a rack on there from a b2 or exploder up there without having to add any supports under the roof.
are there any pics around that will show me what it looks like under there without me pulling the top out.

DFWBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
This is a redundant question. but because of my old age and laziness :D, i cant seem to find a clear answer on the search.
anywoo...
my b2 has no stock roof rack on it and never did. Im looking to get a stock rack and am wondering if i could stick a rack on there from a b2 or exploder up there without having to add any supports under the roof.
are there any pics around that will show me what it looks like under there without me pulling the top out.
Hello from Arlington,Tx where its been 105 last few days and counting. I have an '88 BII with factory roof rack. use it very seldom, has adjustable rails and locking gadgets for ropes. you might go to a Ford dealer and ask some of the 'old' mechanics or salesmen there about how its fastened to the roof. Mine is kind of weathered being 24+ yrs old and setting in this hot Texas sun. evidently there is some kind of re-enforcement between head-liner and roof. you could maybe find 1 at the local pick-n-pulls,, theres plenty round here in good shape yet as cars don't tend to rust out cause we dont use salt/sand here in the winters for ice and snow. good luck. btw--I like the pix of your rig and the scenery,,beautiful country there..

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hello,
I put a stock one I pulled from a JY BII on my 87. FYI, the Explorer racks are rivited and the BIIs are bolted on. When I pulled the JY part I saw it was simply mounted into rivnuts that were attached to the roof sheet metal. I just laid the rack on the roof lined it up and marked the holes. Then used a step bit to drill the holes, don't recall the exact size but I used the measurement of the rivnuts I got that matched the screws that I got from the JY. I put a bead of sealant around all the rivnuts and then mounted the rack. Been there for 4 years and I use mine a lot. No leaks or bending of the roof panel. Rather easy job. Good luck on yours.

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. :icon_cheers:
i need the rack to have someting to lash the kayak to. i did find one at the local pick n pull 35 buxs :shok: its in pretty good shape. i may just go ahead and get it and use the rivnuts.

ya, this is beautiful country here, I just wish i could get out to enjoy it more. But i do appreciate it when i can get out.