•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Stupid Electronic 4x4 crap...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
SO, I am missing the selector buttons for my SOTF 4x4 and I had heard about someone making their own switch with just a toggle switch, but I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find it. Anyone know how to wire this up?

Oh, it's an '89 Bronco II 5-speed with electronic shift t-case

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Umm, it's not exactly difficult to find these in the junkyard. And they are switches and are therefore very easy to test in the field.

Replacing a pair of momentary switches with a toggle doesn't sound like a very good idea....

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Actually I've searched every 4wd Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer in the local junkyard (which has, sadly, recently added an "Authorized Personnel Only" section which means I can't get to any good vehicles) and all of them have been ripped off. And, I agree a toggle would not replace a momentary switch... unless your toggle is momentary on... I know a decent amount about circuits and whatnot, but I can't really find a decent schematic that shows how the original switch worked...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You would be much better off posting your need for one in the "wanted to buy" forum.

There is no easy way around this particular switch.

RangerSphinx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
well this is the clostest can get to my problem... i just did a 4.0 swap into my 88 ranger... and i cannot get anything for the t-case... i dont know if i'm not getting any power to it or the switches... any one got any ideas or something?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I've been doing my research on this subject for a few weeks now

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14

Go read that post, it helped me out a ton... Just make sure you go through and diagnose everything before you start ripping it out, lol...
It saved me the expense of buying a new 4x4 ECM... I'm not sure about a 4.0 swap, but it seems like it should work the same as the stock engine...

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Get a manual transfer case and be done with it.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I was actually thinking about doing this since 1.) I'm missing the dash buttons, and 2.) My shift motor doesn't work.

So, how hard would this be (just pull old one off, slip new one on and cut a hole in the floor?)

And since it is an '89, I would need a manual BW 1350 case correct? I'm pretty sure I can get on at the junkyard and it might be less trouble than messing with the dumb electric stuff anyway...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
No cutting a hole required.

Just get the floor plate from the donor vehicle.

On Rangers, Bronco2s and explorers ALL variations of floor mounted shift lever
either mount to or pass through a removable plate in the floor.

The one other thing is that for your '89 the donor parts must come from a 1988-1990
and IF a 1990 it must have been made PRIOR to 11-89.
11-89 on would have a 13-54 T-case and to install that without a custom driveshaft would also mean swapping out your D28 front axle for a D35.

Actually IF you have an auto trans you could get the T-case and shifter from an '86-90(same caveat), but you'd need to take the '86-87 floor plate and use it as a template to cut the T-case shifter hole in the plate (the '87 and earlier plate is shorter in the front of the plate)

if you have an auto now you have a "virgin plate" (no holes)
and a flat piece of sheet metal tends to just lie there and make
any holes in it you like.

AD

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Ok, I distinctly remember seeing a Ranger there with a Manual T-case, have to check and see what year it is. I'm also looking to maybe swap in a 4.0, so if I were to find a 4wd Explorer, I could use the T-case from it mated to my tranny right? But, I would just have to swap out for the D35? I found a wrecked '92 Explorer locally, I could pick it up and have everything I needed for a complete swap (engine, keep my manual transmission, BW-1354, D35 and 8.8) Right?

rwenzing

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Actually I've searched every 4wd Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer in the local junkyard (which has, sadly, recently added an "Authorized Personnel Only" section which means I can't get to any good vehicles) and all of them have been ripped off.
You can get a NEW set of T/C switches for under $30 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OEM-89-94-Ranger-91-94-Explorer-4x4-4wd-Switch_W0QQitemZ160218751374QQcmdZViewItem

These are NOS, genuine Ford parts at junkyard prices. I have purchased several items from this eBay seller and they all have been in great shape.