•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

stupid question.

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
If im going to convert from 2wd to 4wd i need a new tranny with a t case. Can i just get a t case and bolt it onto the back of my 2.9, 5speed? OR do i need to get a tranny with the right tail end for a transfercase? Any help is appreciated!
its the 88 in my sig.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
If you did this to your Bronco II, it would be doable.

But not for your Ranger. The problem is not the transmission/transfer case (though the answer is NO you CANNOT bolt a transfer case to a 2WD transmission), but rather the front suspension. This is not at all easy, and really not even close to worth it. You can buy a complete 4x4 in perfect condition for $1000 at that vintage. And that's the right solution.

Frame modifications are inherently unsafe, illegal in some places, and to be performed ONLY by people who really know the implications of what they are doing.

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
this truck will be more of a trail truck than road truck as i have a dd. I also have a very rust free ranger and bronco II i can pull parts off of that i need. The plan is to do a sas not bolt the ttb on it because i know the crossmember needs to be changed and that is hard i hear. I know now that i will need a 4x4 tranny with a t-case.
WHICH LEADS ME TO MY NEXT QUESTION
will the 4 speed out of the bronco II work on the 2.9? are the clutchs interchangable? I had a brand new clutch behind my 2.8 thats in the b2. so can i put the clutch, thanny and transfer case behind my 2.9???

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
An '85 is PROBABLY interchangeable, but you should look at the clutches to be sure.

The stumbling blocks for 1983-84 were the pilot bearing and the slave. The pilot bearing lived in the crank on those years, and 2.9L cranks have no provision for that. If yours is a true 1985, it should have the pilot bearing in the flywheel just like your 2.9L. The 1988 slave is not the same as any earlier slave, but you can use the donor IF you take the master as well. Note that I don't recommend using the external slave (despite some weird myths, it really is a less reliable design), but for a 1985, yours should be concentric.

Though to be honest, the 4speeds are OLD, and I don't think they existed anymore in 1985. They are all TK4s, and the design is not very good. Unless it has been correctly rebuilt (not just had a few bearings slapped in), it's not likely to be in good shape. If it makes any noises, it is not a good donor.

2.8broncoII

Reaction score
i see. thanks you. its an 85... dont know who had the truck before me and when i was tearing the motor down to rebuild it looked like it had already been torn down once before. Im not sure if this is the stock running gear or not. What is a 5 speed with a manual t case set up i could use? I have not seen anything on the tech pages about converting 2wd to 4wd thats why i came here.