•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Switching Engine Computers: '88 for '87

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am thinking of repairing my smashed up BII rather than selling and replacing. Can't seem to find a decent B2 nearby at a reasonable price . . .

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't locate the threads.

1. Is it a straight swap (unplug the old, plug in the new) to replace the engine computer from an '87 with one from an '88? (Specifically, Bronco II's)

2. If not, what is required?

3. Is there a difference between computers for vehicles with MT's vs. automatics?

4. Is there a difference between computers for 4x4 vehicles and 2WD?

For example, if a buy an 88 Bronco II for parts (2WD), can I use the computer in my '87 B2 4X4 AT?. My EGR line has been removed and plugged at both ends.

Thanks.
CraigK

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
I am thinking of repairing my smashed up BII rather than selling and replacing. Can't seem to find a decent B2 nearby at a reasonable price . . .

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I can't locate the threads.

1. Is it a straight swap (unplug the old, plug in the new) to replace the engine computer from an '87 with one from an '88? (Specifically, Bronco II's)

2. If not, what is required?

3. Is there a difference between computers for vehicles with MT's vs. automatics?

4. Is there a difference between computers for 4x4 vehicles and 2WD?

For example, if a buy an 88 Bronco II for parts (2WD), can I use the computer in my '87 B2 4X4 AT?. My EGR line has been removed and plugged at both ends.

Thanks.
CraigK

best if you can keep all things the same... if you're going into a 4x4 with auto tranny...find same donor

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
No, because the 2.9L came out in 86 in the rangers.
Nick