•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

T-CASE close up pics.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I need to know if anyone has any clear close up pics of the t-case for an 89 bronco 2. My speedo doesnt work, but when i went to look underneath to see where the cable hooks to the case it looks like the part where the speedo hooks to is broken off. Im not sure what kind of t-case it is but if it helps it is a manual shift t-case, with an automatic transmission. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Do you need one in the truck or out? I can get you a pic tomorrow.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
It doesnt matter if it is in or out of the truck, what i need is a closeup pic of the area where the speedo cable hooks up to the t-case, without the cable hooked to it, so i can see if mine is broke or not. Mine has a u shaped piece that bolts to the t-case where the speedo cable hooks up to, but it looks like on the case there is supposed to be something sticking out that you slide the cable over then bolt the u shaped piece to to hold the cable in, but on my t-case it is flat where it looks like the speedo goes, but it also looks like something may have broken off there. I know this sounds like im lost in space but hopefully you get what i mean, ive been up almost 30 hours working on my vehicles to get at least one running, so i can get to work sometime this week.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
The electronic VSS assembly has snapped in half and the electrical portion has been knocked off the end of the cable.

Leaving you with a cable end and the mechanical portion of the VSS still bolted into the T-case.

AD

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Here's the pics.
The one on my Bll.

A spare I have in my shop.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Thank you for the pics. Now that i have them to work with i can explain this a little better. In the first pic where i circled it in black, that part is hanging down under the truck, and in the second pic, where i put the black arrow something seems to be broke off flush with the opening in the pic. The VSS and the cable are intact, it just seems like something is missing where it goes into the case. If possible ill get some pics tommorrow so i can better show you what i mean. But now that ive seen what it is supposed to look like, i think i know what is missing. If it is what i think it is, ill get one this saturday when i go to the wrecking yard, then ill just have to figure out how to get the broken piece out of the case. Thanx for all the help you guys have given me on this.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I can't see your pics but, it is exactly as AllenD said. It is a really common problem. You need a new VSS. You can buy them at some parts stores or the Ford dealer.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Actually the vss is still intact at the end of the cable, and it still seems to work, but what it looks like is the speedo gear has broken off flush with the case, so ill have to figure out how to get it out and replace it, but tommorrow if i can ill get pics and show you exactly what i mean.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Unless the VSS is all one unit that slides into the case, and the speedo cable clips onto the VSS.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but i dont do alot of newer 4 wheel drive stuff, my specialty is classics and muscle cars.

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Ok i just found a pic of the VSS, and now i see what you mean about how it broke off, now does anyone know how to get the broken piece out of the case, since it broke off flush and i cant seem to get ahold of it at all.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
If you look at the pic of the one in my truck, you'll see a clip where the cable goes in. Pull the clip out and the cable should come out, put new piece on, put clip back.
The part that is still in the hole is the gear. Maybe grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers, should pull out pretty easily.

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Once you pull the retainer off you'll see that there is a piece of the vss actually sticking out a little. It will take a little ingenuity to get it out. You may be able to catch an edge with a screwdriver and slide it right out. You may also be able to screw a self-tapping bolt into it and pull it out.
Sometimes the retainer is stuck on it so it comes right out with the retainer.

Last edited:

biggman100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
The retainer came off pretty easy, but i still cant seem to get the gear part out but ill fight with it tommorrow, it is pouring out right now, and i dont have a garage.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Now I'll tell you something important... when I am pulling a trans and/or transfer case
time is usually an issue... I do not enjoy laying under a truck in the junkyard, I could fill
volumes with a simple list of things I'd rather do and to be honest pulling transmissions ranks just above things involving a whole fresh pineapple and a tube of KY-jelly...

So in the intent of making the process go as quickly as possible
and understanding like only some of us older folks do that
Pulling a transmission in a U-pull-it junkyard is not a job that
you should do like you were pulling the transmission out of
your "Baby"...my usual method of disconnecting the speedometer
cable is to give the VSS a sharp "jab" with the handle of a hammer
(a tool I carry with me) and snap the VSS in half right where the
plastic joins the aluminum body.

the only times I won't break it are when it's already broken
OR if the VSS looks clean and new

Long ago I used to carry bolt cutters to cut the speedo cable,
but since my most important transmission tool is a cordless
Sawsall (Milwaukee of course) and I need to "save weight"
for what I carry into a junkyard.

You should watch me simply cut the Radius arm brackets,
Y-pipe and tranny crossmember.

BTW, the retaining bolt for the VSS is english thread (not metric) and the bolt
has a 7/16" head.

The Y-shaped Retainer SHOULD come with the VSS, as they are typically crimped on.

AD