•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The new B II..

Rico

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
I really like those Bronco 2's but I need to vent. Why is it that every blue colored B2 has the paint peel off the hood or roof? :pissedoff: It happened to my Dad's and it started to come off in big flakes after a while. I'd still get another if the opportunity came though.

Deamers87ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
thats true my bronco II is blue and the paint is gone on the hood and roof

geoffthepoolguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
My 1990 B2 is blue and the paint on the hood and roof are also gone. Its very strange that the paint on the sides is in very good condition for being 19 yrs old and never repainted. I read on a blog somewhere that Ford used too much hardener in the clear coat which caused it to "bake off" in the sun. I don't know much about painting cars but it sounded like it made sense. A friend of mine suggested getting 2 coats of base coat (blue in my case) and spray a couple coats of clear and it would look great.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
it's not just Ford. All the domestic car makers in the late 80s and 90s had a lot of trouble with their paint flaking off on the hood, trunklid, and roof.

Just take a look at any Chevy or Dodge made in the era and it's the same way. I always figured it was something goofy like environmentally friendly paint formulas or something. I've got nothing to back that up though.

BMW did something similar using some sort of biodegradeable interior adhesive, so most BMW's manufactured in 1994 have their cloth coming loose from the door panels and other interior parts.

My blue 1990 is mostly ok, just has a patch of bad clearcoat where the fender meets the hood, about 3" long and 1.5" wide. But it appears to have been garaged most of it's life.

2low

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FoMoCo
Engine Size
same with mine LH. lived in a garage its whole life. i have a eddie bouer with blue matallic. and mine seems to be holding up ok although it may have been painted in its past i cant tell

93rangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
its the type of primer they used for the later model cars. and if you used to much activator in the primer it would just make the paint sink no chip off.

Rallytruck69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Too many
Vehicle
Ford All Ford
Engine Size
I wish they all could be 5.0s
when they went to waterbased primers. you get a chip or crack and the primer soaks water thus chipping and peeling paint. the primers have gotten way better since then.