•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

The ultimate sas swap combination??

1bad87five0ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1989 Ford b2 4x4 with a d35 front and 7.5 rear. I see alot of threads where people say if you did it again you would run a different setup and i see alot of people who love their setup. I want to lift my b2 enough to clear 35's and have some flexing room. I want to hear your opinion on what setup you would run as far as which coil springs, gears, axles, ect.. I made the thread this way to learn what works and so i will be happy with what i put together the first time. I want it to be stiff enough to run down the road but also flex some in the woods. I appreciate all the input and i will at the end choose some stuff from each and try to accomplish the ultimate combination that fits my needs.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Were you looking for info on keeping your D35 (TTB) vs a SAS? (not quite sure by how you've worded your post)

Both setups are very durable and can be built in a myriad of ways, though if you already have the D35, I would suggest maybe search for threads on "Jeep coils" (XJ or ZJ coils). (there was one just recently active in the 4x4 Suspension section) On a BII these should net you the best flex while still maintaining some street manners (I run Skyjacker's XJ coils on mine and am happy with it). Note that you will absolutely need to take care of any steering issues first if your linkage angle isn't correct with the axle beams (longer pitman arm, K-link or crossover conversion, etc.).

For a straight axle, early Bronco coils work well. Many guys also run the XJ coils on a SA too. Pretty much just stay away from TTB-spec coils, no matter whether you actually have TTB or a solid axle. They're too stiff for anything but street use really.

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
If I read it right...I think he was wanting to know where people typically ended up after first doing an SAS...in which case, most people end up with D60 fronts and GM 14-bolt rears after their first set-ups fail.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Its all about how you drive it. Some people run Rockwells and break things, others wheel the piss out of D30s without failure.

-PlumCrazy

kris97ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 4.2 litre
Alot depends on what you want to spend as well.. do you want to run junkyard ales and build them up? Or do you want to go all out and buy a torq 14 bolt rear then buy another one and convert it to a steer axle?

Dana 80 with Rockwell outers has been done.

9" front centre with dana 60 tubes shafts and outers with a 9" centre rear and sterling 10.25 tubes and shafts?

What gear ratio/tire do you want? A 14 bolt only goes up to 5.38 where you get get some dana axles up to 6.17. Or buy a Rockwell that starts at 6.17.

Could go right custom and reach into the toyota side get custom diamond axle housings with 9.5" land cruiser centre sections at Tacoma width (and the proper side drop) and run fj80 outers. Then you have up to 5.29 gearing a ton of locker choices and basicly dana 60 strength at less then half the weight.
Plus drop out 3rd members. (Personally id do this)

Then again a full size hp Dana 44/9" pretty much bolts in and you would easily be able to run 35s. Keep in mind that this sport always makes you upgrade and doing 44s is usually a rbv guys first choice then they do 60s. Which is when everyone says "if i were to do it again" which im guessing is what your trying to avoid

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
copy 4x4 junkies build.

its solid and as cost effective time effective as it gets.