•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Thinking about welding up my d28

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Been tossing around the idea of welding up the front the way I understand it is its harder to turn but at least on the street the hubs wouldn't be locked so that shouldn't be an issue right? I know there's better ways just don't want to spend money on the 28 rather save it to build up a d35.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I can't imagine it surviving more than a few minutes, them u/j's are tiny.

Broncojumper87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That's the kind of info I'm looking for I searched and could only find guys welding up d35

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
For a quick, cheap L/S you can add an extra side gear washer. It puts an extra load on the parts so it could break, but I've been using mine for a while but no rock climbing just winter wheeling and cut lines. It allows slippage when needed so shouldn't break u-joints. It won't last forever but it's cheap, free [other than fluid] if you have parts kicking around.

Richard

Last edited:

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Alwaysfloored, is that also possible fro a dana 30 straight axle? i mean a quick extra shim on one side and boom a L/S dana 30?
im new to the dana 30 world and looking for cheap to free upgrades when i swap in my new r&p next week

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
After breaking two D-28 shafts with a locker in the D-28, I would say try the extra side gear shim or just save for a D-35 swap. Locking a D-28 is more hassle than it's worth.

And yes, I literally broke the shaft, not just spit a U-joint cap.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Alwaysfloored, is that also possible fro a dana 30 straight axle? i mean a quick extra shim on one side and boom a L/S dana 30?
im new to the dana 30 world and looking for cheap to free upgrades when i swap in my new r&p next week
I have not worked on a d-30 so can't say. I've done this with a 9" and the d-28.

Richard

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
the shim trick will work on any diff. all it is doing is binding the gears, creating friction. i cant imagine it lasting very long before the shims/gears/carrier wear enough to relieve the tension and back to an open diff. i would save for a D35 and lock-rite. if you are gonna do any serious wheeling, you will break axles/u-joints/hubs, no matter what diff you have.its just the nature of the beast. learn throttle and clutch control to avoid broken parts