•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

throttle linkage compatibility

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm looking into making a hand throttle on my gear shifter. The metal bracket that the throttle cable is mounted to has a second mounting spot next to the existing cable, I think for a cruise control cable. However, the linkage (don't know if that's the correct term, the little spring loaded assembly between air intake hose and manifold) doesn't have a spot to mount a second cable. So what I want to do is head to the scrapyard and find a 2.9L that had cruise control and get the whole spring assembly that will presumably have a spot to mount a second cable.
Will the linkage from any 2.9 swap into another 2.9, or are there differences that I need to be aware of when I'm shopping thru the scrapyard...?
Thanks in advance for any help.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
well i just did this on my expo, mine has cruise so i made a mount for mine. what i am getting from u is u think the cruise control has a kick back spring like the throttle does? well it doesnt all it does is clip to the throttle cable. instead of getting a new mount y not just drill a hole? I will go out and take pics right now so u can see my setup. sorry fot the crappy pics from my cell but i think u will get the point, i made my own mount out of a vehicle p.a. speaker mount and then bolted that to the throttle mount, i use the cable tighteners off of an old mongoos bike so i could adjust the cable so it was tight, then i drilled a hole for the cable to hook thru the cruise control then uses a crimp that u can get in the bike section at walmart. it then gets fed thru the firewall right by the gas pedal and then hooked to the bike brake that is attached to the shifter.

Attachments

Last edited:

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, I was counting on the kickback spring on the existing throttle cable to close the throttle when I'm not on it...the mount has a spot for a second cable, since my truck doesnt have cruise control i can utilize that without having to fabricate anything. I'm just not sure how to attach the second cable to the arm that opens the throttle...the existing cable attaches with a ball/socket connection, I was assuming that a truck with cruise control would have a second ball/socket connection I could utilize...how does your cruise control cable connect to the throttle lever...? Id prefer to mimic the factory setting for two cables, but run my second cable to the hand throttle instead of the intended cruise control servo motor....

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I snapped a couple quick photos...in the first you can see where a second cable could mount right next to the throttle cable, but in the second you can see where theres nowhere for this second cable to mount to the throttle assembly.....

Attachments

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
the cruise is held on by a plastic clip tht goes around the tube before the ball socket on the throttle cable, know what some jeepers do is take a o gauge terminal conector like the ones for ur power wire on an amp and crimp it on to to the cable and remove the ball socket and slide the conector on the ball socket then replace the throttle cable, here i will draw a pic in paint for ya

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
as u see the connector is over the top well u will pull thr throttle linkage off then put the connector on then replace the throttle linkage. Then ur gonna wanna get the metal piece that u see in my pic that the cable goes thru so u can adjust the cable once it stretches out. u will put that peice in the lower hole on ur mount right next to ur throttle cable. i also uploaded a pic of the ring terminal if u didnt know what i ment.

Attachments

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Aahhhh thats a great idea, thank you! I'm gonna try to do that Monday/tuesdy, I'll post some pics when I'm done.