•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Time has come for an engine

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
So, the engine in my 88 B2 has had issues and have of course got worse the past year. It smokes really bad burning oil as well as numerous oil leaks. Burns oil bad enough that it will foul the plugs...mostly just the front plug on the driver's side so up until now I have just replaced that plug and its been fine for a few month...this last time I pulled the plug expecting to find the thing packed with carbon, however it was not, it was wet with fuel/oil and rather than carbon it was packed with metal filings :icon_surprised: with that finding I stopped driving it completely up until yesterday when I drove it into town and put some fuel in it. It was smoking worse than ever this time.

Long story short, rather than mess with an engine rebuild I'm doing an engine replacement from NAPA. Figured the extra cost to have a 3 year warranty VS nothing would be a bit of a comfort level. Found a shop that can do the work but of course it'll be a when he can get to it type of thing and isn't charging me. Would $1,000 cash handed over after the work is done sound appropriate? I'm not going to let him do that work for free, even though that's what he is doing. I don't feel that doing that kind of work should be free, and he's still in high school doing this on the side, so I'd think being a 17 year old, $1,000 in cash after doing an engine replacement would be a nice bonus.

I had thrown around the idea of doing a 4L swap but since I am doing the engine through NAPA they have to have the VIN which points to the 2.9L V6 and at that I'd also have to get a different computer. Then reference previous paragraph about the guy that will be doing the work for free, I think I'd be better off just sticking with the stock direct swap engine...its not like I'm going to be racing it LOL. The 2.9L V6 does fine for what it is, and I just use it as a DD anyways.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Wildbill23c

I think the $1000 would be a great gesture and I am sure would be greatly appreciated by the young man. I believe that would be more than fare.

Dennis

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thank you for the reply. Just waiting on him to get the time to start working on it. He seems really interested in working on it, and he's also going to be rebuilding the 302 in his Mercury Mountaineer soon so I think that $1,000 would be very welcome to him as well.