•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Timing Cover to Engine Block

KennzX09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A little background: I bought this Bronco II off my wife's friend for $250. Thing has been sitting in her driveway for three years. She had gotten in from a police auction, from which the guy caught with it was caught switching VINs. This thing came with a name "Bruce" and a cool little story, haha.
Anything that could leak, was. I come from a Jeep background, when my wife totaled my Jeep, it got sold for scrap :sad: Well opportunity came along for a new project, which is this little interesting 4x4. I myself am a Heavy Machine Mechanic, I love tinkering and just plain taking stuff apart, haha. I took this Bronco II as a very interesting challenge. Well anyways i've done some fixing here and there on Bruce and been driving him around. On Christmas day the wife, little man and I were on our way to my dads. About 3/4 of the way there I just lost all power. I limped it the rest of the way to his house. I pop the hood and look around don't see anything completely of the ordinary. So I try and start it up, the engine locks. Crap. Try once more, success, but I have steam and water coming out of the exhaust. Great blown head gasket. (explains a hydro lock on the first attempt.) I get the Bronco into the garage then go eat dinner. Afterwards I go pull the spark plugs to see whats going on. Pull the first one on the driver side (#3) coolant just comes pouring out. Long story short I get the heads off and head gasket is fine but the coolant passages on the #3 cylinder are clogged. Cracked the head right on the spark plug hole. Ive come to see this is a very common problem as the coolant passages get smaller down the head gasket. Very stupid design in my opinion. I got new heads and have been slowing rebuilding.()

First question is on the head bolts, are they torque to yield or reusable?

Second question is i fubared what is a passage way from the engine block to the timing cover. Pic below. Where in the world can I find this part?

Attachments

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
First of all welcome ! Now my question is this. Is it the block or timing cover that is messed up ? I believe that you can use a pair of needal nose visegrips and just twist the alignment dowl out and replace it. IF not and its the timing cover I may have one I could hook you up with.

KennzX09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It's on the engine block. I broke the timing cover when I was taking it off... Don't ask... Was out on a service call a couple of hours away from home and passed a junk yard. Picked one up. After the dowel comes out where in the world can I find one? I've looked all over online and not a single one.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
At a wrecking yard or from your local ford dealers parts department.
Or I'll see if I can pull one out of one of my motors.

KennzX09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Are the head bolts torque to yield?

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Its not a good idea to reuse old head bolts. They are cheap enough to get new ones. They go for about $20 per head ($40) plus tax for both heads , so I'd go that route.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
And as far as are they torque to yield ? Yes I believe they are so can only be used once. Hope this helps.

KennzX09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks I just welded the dowel and rounded it back out turned it around and pressed is back in. Have new head bolts on order. Now I just need to find the coolant hoses that are on the timing cover which I can not find anywhere

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Well as far as the hoses go , Any parts store should carry or be able to get the hoses , Other wise you will half to make them your self or check with your ford dealer or wrecking yards.