•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tires lift and regearing

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Well here is the deal I'm the long run I want to be able to run 35's and here is what I plan to due I am getting a 3 inch body lift and a full 4 inch suspension lift with new shocks and spring front and back and am going to regear it in the back and front I have a few things I need to know before I start this will 7 total inches of lift be enough to run 35's and when I regear it what gear ratio should I use and what vehicle can I pull them out of at a junk yard because I can't afford to buy them new after the whole lift and tires thanks very much

Thanks
Tyler

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The best your going to get is 4.10 out of a junkyard and a dana 35 4.10 is pretty hard to find. Im running 35's with just over 7" of lift but i have a 3rd gen ranger and think the wheel wells are bigger. Theyll probably fit with minor trimming at worst.

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I run 33-35's with my 4.88 gears and i think its about perfect with the 4.0 auto. Not to great going down the highway when i have 33's on. But its amazing offroad. I think youd be better off running a 33" tire. They will fit better and will be good with 4.10's if you can find them in the junkyard.

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
ok here are a few things i want to do that could interfere with the tires and gears well my dad is really tight with the junkyard guys around us his friend actuially owns the biggest junkyard by us so parts can come cheap to me LOL i may consider doing a 4.0 swap instead of the 302 that i wanted to do because i hear they are cheaper and easier to do than a 302 so i figure that would make it run much better than with the little 2.9 but i want to build this to be a weekend rider summer night cruiser and get a beater for the rest of the time so idk what to do for sure yet but if i do go with 7 inches of lift by the time its all done tires and lift will cost me 1500 so idk let me know what you all think

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Most say without trimming 6 inch lift on 33s for the 2nd? Gen ranger. The 4.0 has gobs more torque than the 2.9 awesome swap. Why not take it a step further? The early sohc 4.0 will run off the ohv computer and bolts up the same only difference is power steering hoses. That'll give you nearly v8 power with fuel injection.

Search around the site for cheap lifts. Can you do a cut and turn? If your willing to cut alot of guys are running 35s on 4 inches of lift. Honestly id go 33s. Locked front and rear you can run 99% of the trails on 33s. 35s look cool but they cost 2x as much when all said and done. That extra inch of clearance ain't much. If that's stopping you get more speed.

35s and 3.73 is very doable as a DD but your crawl ratio will suck so id invest in a doubler. You have lots of options. I love 35s but there over rated. Go pick up a cheap set of 33s on www.onlinetires.com or www.tirecrawler.com if there not enough surely you could sell them for the same you bought them and buy 35s.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You will spend a small fortune regearing for 35s. And you wont find the correct ratio in the junk yard. I'd run 33s with 4.10s