•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tires that resist freezing :annoyed:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
honestly, BFG's are great, i've come out from work in -45 and driven off without problem with my ko's filled with nitrogen, the whole driveline feels like it's filled with molasses at that temperature though
Thats almost guaranteed due to the nitrogen more than the BFG;s but ive heard they are really awesome in the snow.

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
yeah unlike the states alaska has a really big tire industry here! just the places I work for stocked more then 10,000 tires before every season and well sell almost all of them.

Good winter tires include the Nokian Hakkapelettis which are sold exclusively at Johnsons tire, Cooper M&S tires sold at American Tire, Blizzak tires also sold at American Tire, Wintercat SST at Alyeska Tire, Winter Ipikes sold at American tire and Alyeska, Winterforce Tires sold at American Tire and Alyeska Tire. Also Costco sells the BFG Commercial T/A's studded and Sams Club sells Pacemark Studded winter tires.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
just curious are u talking about "flat spots" when u say freezing? every mud tire ive had done it even though it doesnt get colder then 25* here, i couldnt imagine in -30* lol. mine always got right within about 5-10 miles

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the KO's are ok in snow, can't really complain about it... after my accident i pulled onto the "grass" and had no problems taking off afterwards, but for snow, my KM2's are WAY better, ice, not so much...

this is where i stopped, and it got about twice as deep as i drove forward back to the road...

though, i was pretty stuck here...

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just curious are u talking about "flat spots" when u say freezing? every mud tire ive had done it even though it doesnt get colder then 25* here, i couldnt imagine in -30* lol. mine always got right within about 5-10 miles
Yea flat spots especially at -50/60 below. Funny when you first take off they are all syncronized and then from slippage/ turning they get out of sync and its really cloppity cloppity. The bigger the tire or if you have low air pressure the worse it is.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
oh, i also don't air down in winter, which could be why i don't have that problem either... i keep both my ko's and km2's at 35psi (unless i'm wheeling, in which case my km2's are dropped to 15-17psi, depending on the run and conditions

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
the worst ive had were 38.5" boggers with about 25psi...they were so bad, i thought my teeth were gonna fall out. like riding down a washboard gravel road at 100mph, except i was on a fresh asphalt road doing 30 lol

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
the worst ive had were 38.5" boggers with about 25psi...they were so bad, i thought my teeth were gonna fall out. like riding down a washboard gravel road at 100mph, except i was on a fresh asphalt road doing 30 lol
Haha yea I went home for christmas once with 44" bias tsl swampers and the drive is 8 hrs. It was -64 below when I parked at my folks and the next morning good luck, had to drive the back roads and trails for half an hour before getting near a real road.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
just goes back to the air pressure thing ibrought up, Im thinkin before the cold hit (or after) you never checked your pressure to make sure they were up to snuff.

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just goes back to the air pressure thing ibrought up, Im thinkin before the cold hit (or after) you never checked your pressure to make sure they were up to snuff.
On the trip I was talking about I checked mine just before leaving Anchorage @ about +5 degrees and in 400 miles it changed to less than -50. I checked it again before leaving the folks and still the same, upon getting back home it was again still the same. I think that time it was tire size and tire temp vs outside ambient/air density who knows.:dunno:

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Haha yea I went home for christmas once with 44" bias tsl swampers and the drive is 8 hrs. It was -64 below when I parked at my folks and the next morning good luck, had to drive the back roads and trails for half an hour before getting near a real road.
jesus! what were you driving when you did this?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If its that cold, your tires heat up a lot when running... Which means the air inside of them expands. A lot. If you aired up your tire when its cold you'll blow a bead by the time you get to full running temperatures...
And when you air it up at running temperature, once you park it, the air compresses, and bam. D-shaped tire in the morning.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
so you're saying that if i fill my tires to 35psi, with the tires cold when it's -30, then drive down the highway, the heat from my tires turning are going to bump the pressure up past the, most likely 3:1 safety factor, minimum, and blow the tire out?

what if i don't let the air out of my tires when we go into summer? i mean, calgary gets to -40 in the winter, and 35 in the summer is not uncommon, the change of 75* in 6 months isn't going to cause this though?

how about when calgary has a chinook, which normally causes temperatures to change by 10 degrees per hour, and again, not uncommon for it to change by 15-20 degrees... would that cause my tires to pop?

(temperatures in celcius)

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
If its that cold, your tires heat up a lot when running... Which means the air inside of them expands. A lot. If you aired up your tire when its cold you'll blow a bead by the time you get to full running temperatures...
And when you air it up at running temperature, once you park it, the air compresses, and bam. D-shaped tire in the morning.
Yeah that would only happen if you filled the tire to max psi in like -50 degree weather to begin with... then driving to california or something. I've filled up tires to 35 in -40 and drove for 6 hours then parked it in a heated garage and the pressure was only up to 45 the next day.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
so you're saying that if i fill my tires to 35psi, with the tires cold when it's -30, then drive down the highway, the heat from my tires turning are going to bump the pressure up past the, most likely 3:1 safety factor, minimum, and blow the tire out?

what if i don't let the air out of my tires when we go into summer? i mean, calgary gets to -40 in the winter, and 35 in the summer is not uncommon, the change of 75* in 6 months isn't going to cause this though?

how about when calgary has a chinook, which normally causes temperatures to change by 10 degrees per hour, and again, not uncommon for it to change by 15-20 degrees... would that cause my tires to pop?

(temperatures in celcius)
I didn't say there was any guarantee of blowing out or anything, but you do run the risk. Plus I said you would pop it off the bead, thats all..

And dont lie to me, 35 is stupid-hot in Calgary, even for summertime. lol

The simple physics of it is air expands as it heats up.
If you dont beleive it, I got a simple test for you... take a balloon. Blow it up. Now put it out side. It will be significantly deflated in a while once that air inside the balloon has decreased from your body temperature to the -20 or whatever ridiculous temperatures you have in Cowtown today.

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
it's 3 in calgary today... and it's been in the mid 30's every summer i've been here since i moved from vancouver...

how do you blow a bead without blowing a tire, from excess pressure? the difference about blowing up a balloon inside and putting it outside is the fact that the average person can only blow 2.5psi, and a balloon does not take that much pressure before popping... so your balloon test is irrelevant...

meskater132

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
i worked for a tire shop out in fairbanks alaska was negative -36 currently have 30 inch mickey thompsens on my bronco 2 and they dont get flat but in the tire shop we would hear what your talking about alot look on the side wall and buy a tire that has an A for temperature rating ones with a winter snowflake like goodyear wrangler silent aromors do excellent

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
it's 3 in calgary today... and it's been in the mid 30's every summer i've been here since i moved from vancouver...

how do you blow a bead without blowing a tire, from excess pressure? the difference about blowing up a balloon inside and putting it outside is the fact that the average person can only blow 2.5psi, and a balloon does not take that much pressure before popping... so your balloon test is irrelevant...
Its not irrelevant at all. It still is a real-world scenario that illustrates the fact that air compresses in cold temperatures, and expands in warmer ones. Some people have a better time understanding principles like that when they can relate it to something they have experienced or seen.

And its 3 today? Damn. Thats a toasty January day for you guys... lol

--weezl--

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
it was actually 5* when i left for work at 10pm... quite nice indeed, didn't need gloves or even a jacket to fill the tank! though i did use an entire reservoir of washer fluid on the way here... god damn mud!

your right, the principals still apply, but the rate of expansion decreases with each additional psi, if you heat 1psi by an amount enough to make it double in volume, there will be a point where it will compress to 2psi, however, if you ramp it up to say 10psi start, and you heat it from the same start temp, it's not going to double in psi, by the same increase in tempature

Last edited: