•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

tk5 stuck

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 84 b2 4x4 2.8 v6 with a tk5 5 speed. My brother borrowed it and when he down shifted coming to a light (engine braking) it got stuck in reverse and 5th. I can't get it in neutral and reverse works fine. When I try to put it in 5th and drive it just dies. I never had a problem with it but I never down shifted coming to a stop. I took the pan off the bottom of the trans and gears look fine. Is there any way to get it unstuck?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hopefully someone with better transmission knowledge will chime in and help you better. A friend had this happen with a Ford Festiva a few months ago and it had something to do with the shift gate in the top of the transmission. It has nothing to do with the gears, its in the shifting mechanism that has caused it to get stuck. Sounds like the shift gate broke or failed causing it to get stuck.

Iceman21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Engine Size
2.8L (soon to be 350) and 2.9L
Can't think of what it is called at the moment but there is this little ball and the End of your shift lever, I think kt's green, and it's basically a ball. Anyway, if that broke or became disconnected, that could cause you to go into the "tk5" black hole.. Basically having reverse fall into your seat. Take the rubber off the top and look down in, you should be able to see it.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have had the shifter off and there is no ball at the end. Even if i use a screwdriver or anything to move it. I can only move it straight up which would be 5th or reverse. If I put it in what I believe is neutral and let off of the clutch it just dies like its in a high gear. I put the transfer case in low and put it in 5th to see if it would move forward, but it doesnt just dies. So I'm not sure if I 5th or not. I think it just got out of sync or something and I just got to get it in sync again. I cant find any good pics of the inside of the transmission to see if anything is out of place.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I'm betting the trans was low on fluid. They can seize this way.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Any way to unseize it? It still spins inside.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
no, and it's an educated guess. But if it did happen, there's nothing you can do.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the replies but I fixed it. Just got underneath it with a flathead screwdriver and moved it through the gears. Lined it all up and now it shifts smooth.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
and all is well? These don't really have linkage to get out of whack and jammed. If all is well, check the fluid and feel lucky :)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
By the sounds of it I'm guessing by going through the gears, you took the tranny cover off the bottom and moved stuff around that way, otherwise there's nothing below that you can do to get it to shift through the gears without getting inside the transmission.

My 84 Bronco 2 has the TK-5 and I don't downshift, brakes are cheaper than a clutch or transmission.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger long cab
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
All I know is that each leg of the shift pattern has 3 positions up. neutral, and down , When the linkage hangs up. you move each leg to neutral. I learned this on a 3 on the tree. They had external shift levers. and 5 feet of shifter rods. But the principle is the same .:D

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Hmm, thanks Andy never knew the workings of these transmissions. I'm not gonna tear mine apart to see how it works cuz it works just fine right now LOL.