•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

To rebuild or buy a remanufactured

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
My engine is toast....so should I have it rebuilt or buy a remanufactured engine to replace it with? It would cost around the same....I found a reman engine with 3 yr unlimited mileage engine for $1300....what to do?

hopster

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
if you can listen to the engine in the junkyard run and it sounds good go that route but if not i would go with the reman.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I found a used engine for $350 with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty...free shipping.....

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
You may have found one, but who's going to stand behind it if it fails? I'd go with a rebuilt, whether you do it yourself or buy one that way. Find one with a good warranty and then do some checking up on the company. My buddy bought a rebuilt with the warranty, had it put in (he doesn't mech) and didn't even get it home. The company replaced the engine (main bearings were bad) but he had to pay to get it removed and then re-installed... So........ If it's you DD, do you homework.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I hear someone saying something about a 4.0... Seriously though if you're keeping the 2.9 and plan on having it for a while and don't wanna do any wrenching go with a reman, if you don't mind working on it, get a junkyard one...