•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Towin a Bronco II

tryn2rest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
First Merry Christmas and may you all have a great New Year!!!!!!! I want to start a new B2 project, but need some advice. I would like to flat tow the B2 with my motorhome. I am ok with a stick, but since it would be a camp vehicle the BOSS would prefer an auto. I have the chance to buy a 1990 4x4, auto with the push button transfer case. My questions are , will this tow as is? If not what modifications would need to be made? Which manual shift transfer cases would replace the push button? And while I am asking are there any headers out there that fit this B2, the shift is on the column? Would it make a difference to move the shifter to the floor, and again what parts would be necessary. Thanks

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i wouldnt tow it on a trailer i would get one of those tow bars and pull it behind. you know what im talking about? then you dont have the added weight of a trailer

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
hold on let me get my b2 manual and see what ford actually says about it

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just checked my 87 owners manual and unless u had the manual t case (so u can put ur t case into neutral) if u want to flat tow that b2 u will have to take the rear driveshaft out...

thats what my owners manual says

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
bingo the rear drive shaft would have to be removed. the reason for this is that the insides of the tranny are still turning but the pump isn't. thus the clutches will burn up.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Years ago I worked in a machine shop, we specialized in drive shafts. There was a part that you could buy and have it installed onto your shaft so you could disengage it rather than remove it. Check out the following link....
http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7

Hope this helps,
Louis

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
The answer is to find one with a manual t-case because the oil pump was put in the transfer case to make it work.If its a real good deal you can change it to a manual not to bad of a job.

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Years ago I worked in a machine shop, we specialized in drive shafts. There was a part that you could buy and have it installed onto your shaft so you could disengage it rather than remove it. Check out the following link....
http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7

Hope this helps,
Louis
Damn, I bought my B2 for the price of one of those!

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Easiest and IMHO the best way is to have a manual T-case in it. Or put it on a trailer.

You can use a T-case out of a Ranger, Bronco II or Explorer. Most Rangers and all BIIs got a BW 1350m (manual) or BW 1350e (electric). Explorers and some newer Rangers got the BW 1354m (manual) or BW 1354e (electric). They all have the same bolt pattern and spline count. The BW 1354's are a little stronger. The only real difference for swapping in is that some have a slip-joint front output and some have a flange front output on the case. IIRC, all BIIs have a slip-joint front output, and most or all Explorers got a flange front output (which means you'd either have to convert to a slip joint or get an explorer front driveshaft cut down to work).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
A manual T-case from an Explorer will be the slightly stronger 13-54 T-case
Yes they made Explorers with manual Transfer cases.

BUT the 13-54 from an explorer or later ranger will only fit
a 1990 Bronco2 IF the bronco2 already has a 1354 T-case,
and not all 1990 bronco2's do.

the Three things to check are:
1)On the safety certification label (the "door sticker" on the end of the drivers door)
Look for the production date, you want the pro date to be 12-89 or latter
11-89 can go either way, 10-89 or earlier? (frankly I'd go shopping for another vehicle.)

2) Look at the front diff and count the bolts 10bolts is a Dana 35 axle
this axle was only put into later bronco2's that also have the 13-54 T-case

3) pull one front wheel and the locking hub and count the splines the Dana 35
has 27-splines, the earlier Dana 28 axle only has 23-splines

You might want to refer to the top "Sticky" topic in the Towing Forum
(where this topic will be moved shortly)
http://204.14.93.181/forums/showthread.php?t=21597