•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Toyota transfer case behind an FM-146?

artistic_gore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hi,

I've asked this question in a couple other places only to be shot down/laughed at or just ignored.

What I would like to do is take an '89 2-wheel drive bronco II and convert it to 4x4 and SFA at the same time. I was thinking of running toyota axles to stay close on width but having the option of beefing up the internals later. Unfortunately the toyota is passenger side drop. This got me thinking of running a toyota transfercase as well. I've looked and couldn't find an application specific adapter. The only way I can think to do it would be to use the tail housing off of a 79 or 80 toyota L-43 trans, have a custom input shaft made and an adapter plate maybe 1/2 to 1" thick to run bolts into from either side (maiting the trans and tail housing). I guess I am curious if; A. this would/could work, or B. if it would make the rear drive shaft too short or would otherwise be impractical.

This winter I am starting a mechanical engineering/design program at a local college and on the side while doing my regular class-work I would like to design the parts for this (if it has any basis in reality) and if the resources are available, have the parts machined at the school. I may even go so far as to have a whole new housing done and eliminate the need for the spacer/adapter between the trans and tail housing thus eliminating appr. 1" out of the overall length.

I think even if I have to purchase a whole 79 or 80 toyota for parts I could probably keep the cost of the conversion under $1000 if I did most/all of my own work.

BTW, the truck was free.

Sorry for the uber long post but thanks for reading,

Bryce

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
The other thing is that the toyota diffs are wayyy narrower than RBV diffs.....53" WMS to WMS VS. 59" IIRC...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Ok, I'm gonna be kinda blunt.

Yoda guys consider their axles "strong" because they rarely break them
even when running BIG tires.

But there's a good reason they don't break.

That's because on a bad day a Ranger weighs 800-1000# more than
a similarly equipped Toyota.

Put that same axle under a Ranger and bad shit will happen.

and that doesn't adress that the Yoda has good enough brakes, for a yoda, but stopping a heavier ranger?

If you REALLY want a solid axle? Use the front axle out of a Jeep Cherokee.

It's a dana30 and probably just a tiny bit stronger than a Dana28
and doesn't suffer from import pricing on all the little parts.

the really neat thing is that factory Ranger wheels will bolt right on

And best of all? The "Drop" is on the correct side.

AD

artistic_gore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Meh,

I guess I'll just have to run it and see. I'm pretty sure I could beef the toyota 8's for a heck of a lot cheaper than an 8.8 D28, D30, D44 combo. I suppose I do have some homework to do though.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Coast Mountain Crawlers
Supporting Member
Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2002/2008
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/4.0L/6.4L
Easiest and cheapest would be to do a 4x4 tranny swap, RBV t case, and swap in the d30 if you want to go SFA. The 8.8 is pretty cheap to beef up...get yourself a 31 spline out of an explorer, put a detroit locker in it and be done. As for the d30, if you want to beef it up 500 bucks will get you cromo shafts and super joints.

You'll end up wayy to narrow if you use the yota diffs.