•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transfer Case Chain

gbearsf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nissan
I keep an imported 90 Bronco II EB down in the Los Cabos, BCS area. After experiencing a hard clunk when putting it in reverse (especially when cold) I was told that my transfer case chain was worn. Since they don't have the part here I could purchase it while back in USA and bring it down when I drive back. I see lots of advice about replacing the entire transfer case (due somewhat to labor costs) but my tranny mechanic in Cabo says he would charge 3,500 pesos (about $275) to replace the chain only. A complete transfer case would run anywhere from $600 to almost $1K. At those rates, am I ok just replacing the chain? Also does anyone know where I might purchase a new chain compatible with the BW1354?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Since the chain only drives the front end, I doubt that it is the cause of the clunk.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I would get a second opinion. I'm not saying it isn't the t-case because I don't know enough about them to have an opinion. Most clunks [98%] I've experienced are u-joint related. I've seen a pinion nut backed off and cause a clunk. Sometimes there is enough 'slop' in the rear end to cause a clunk.
Good luck,

Richard

Last edited:

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i agree the clunk is not in the tcase since the chain only drives the front. check your ujoints, slip joint and rear end.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I keep an imported 90 Bronco II EB down in the Los Cabos, BCS area. After experiencing a hard clunk when putting it in reverse (especially when cold) I was told that my transfer case chain was worn. Since they don't have the part here I could purchase it while back in USA and bring it down when I drive back. I see lots of advice about replacing the entire transfer case (due somewhat to labor costs) but my tranny mechanic in Cabo says he would charge 3,500 pesos (about $275) to replace the chain only. A complete transfer case would run anywhere from $600 to almost $1K. At those rates, am I ok just replacing the chain? Also does anyone know where I might purchase a new chain compatible with the BW1354?
Pretty sure your clunk isn't the chain in the transfer case, that only receives power when 4WD is engaged the rest of the time its just there sitting at idle. You probably have either lose suspension components or some U-Joints failing.

gbearsf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nissan
Thanks for your input.

Thanks for all of the input - you guys are great. I will take it to another tranny guy down here for another opinion. The problem is when I put it in reverse it really slams hard but when I shift back into forward it's not quite as bad. Otherwise it seems to shift OK when driving. I need to get to the bottom of this because it's hard to get parts here for older cars (plenty in wrecking yards but cars in Baja have been driven to death). I need to order the parts when I'm back in CA and schlep them down when I return. The great thing is labor is real cheap here.

gbearsf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nissan
Just to let you know, I got a second opinion and he said I needed a new driveshaft with the u-joing conversion - also my rear shocks were shot. I'll purchase the driveshaft and shocks in USA and carry them down when I drive back down. Thanks everyone for your input.