•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transfer drain plu

bflyr2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just got a 87 Bronco2 E.B. and doing service on it. Am trying to remove top drain plug on case and it will not move. Am striping the 3/8" inset and it is froze. Don't look like it has been checked in years. Have taken JB weld and 1/2 to 3/8" adapter and stuck them together to avoid any freeplay to keep from stripping any more of the 3/8' drive inset. Will spray with liquid wrench. Should I heat case or pack in ice? Ford couldn't find a drain plug replacement. Is it pipe thread or standard thread. Will use antiseze to put it back in place but don't want to drill it out. Hope someone can help. Thanks

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wow, wish this had come up a month ago. I just chucked a case in the scrap heap that had a good plug in it.

I would try heat first. If you have access to an impact gun a low air pressure and light trigger might get it moving.

bflyr2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes I have a gun & will try that. Thanks

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Are those just a plug with a 3/8" square? Like a 3/8" ratchet fits right into it? What I've done in the past when they strip out is just put a short extension in there and weld it to the plug. Then you can get a ratchet or breaker bar on it again. The heating and cooling from welding should also help loosen it up. Of course, this requires a welder and sacrificing a socket extension, but it's a permanent fix and you don't even have to replace the plug.