•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transmission Solenoid Question

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
In the ever continuing battle with the A4LD, I've read that a failed shift solenoid can prevent torque converter lockup. I've already pulled the transfer case off and taken the pan off and I'm in the process of pulling everything out for either another A4LD or maybe a 5spd, I haven't really decided yet.

Anyway, I rather go with the cheapest, least time consuming option. Therefore, the idea of swapping out a solenoid and getting back on the road is looking really good, but I don't want to do it, and put it all back together to be back where I started from. Is there anyway to test the solenoid since I have the pan already off? A voltage/Ohm test?

:icon_confused:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A4LD.html
I use this site for part numbers. Have you adjusted the bands? Did you confirm the solenoid is getting power? It could any one of several problems a faulty sprag, clutch, band, piston, solenoid, or stuck valve. If it is internal a good rebuilt with all the upgrades is probably your best bet but be careful and deal with a reputable tranny shop if you have yours rebuilt.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A4LD.html
I use this site for part numbers. Have you adjusted the bands? Did you confirm the solenoid is getting power? It could any one of several problems a faulty sprag, clutch, band, piston, solenoid, or stuck valve. If it is internal a good rebuilt with all the upgrades is probably your best bet but be careful and deal with a reputable tranny shop if you have yours rebuilt.
Thanks.

No.
No.
Ok...

Since you're probably new to my A4LD plight, I'll give you the short story.

-Worked ok, but trans would slip on steep inclines if you didn't stay in the gas.
-Got stuck
-Had to get pulled out
-Now when you step on gas and wail on it, it BARELY moves. I had to put it in 4L to get it up my driveway.
-and now you know.